Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyMedStudent

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I am thinking of getting an Apple Cinema display and was wondering if anyone has had trouble running it on a 2010 MBA (1.86 GHz 4 GB RAM 320M). Does it lag at all watching HD videos and such?

Buckeyes1995

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
I am thinking of getting an Apple Cinema display and was wondering if anyone has had trouble running it on a 2010 MBA (1.86 GHz 4 GB RAM 320M). Does it lag at all watching HD videos and such?

I can't speak directly about the ACDs, but I run 1080P without issue on my Gateway XHD3000 30", 2560x1600 resolution.. no issues.

The only time I get any kind if HD video stuttering is when I had my Itunes library on my NAS.. not sure what the issue was.. could have been itunes itself.. I watched a 1080p HD video last night from Youtube and it was perfect.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
No problems driving the 27" ACDs at all. Even the 9400m in the Late 2008 MBA could drive it or a 30" ACD without issues.

The Nvidia 320m has made the low end Macs incredibly capable since Late 2008 introductions. I am going to miss them terribly when they're gone. It is sad what Intel did and we're all losing much graphics performance with Core i-series chips and their forced Intel chipsets and inferior IGP.

But as far as the late 2008 to late 2010 MBAs, they all drive the ACDs 24" & 27" wonderfully. Buy it and love it. The refurbished ACDs go for $599 and $849. Both are amazing.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
maybe i pay attn to details a bit more, but you'll notice a bit more choppiness when resizing say an excel window on the acd v. laptop screen.

i have a 13" ultimate connected to the 27" ACD.

HD and all that stuff it runs just fine.

MoodyMedStudent

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks. I was also wondering how I can "close" my MBA when it's connected to an external monitor and just run OSX on the ACD display. I heard that if you had your MBA open at the same time the graphics power is divided between both the MBA and the ACD.

Also, if I have an external keyboard/trackpad can I use it while the MBA is closed?

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
it's not flawless. i dock and undock (if you want to call it that) all the time and sometimes the thing doesn't resume when connecting to the acd again. it requires a reboot, but again, i do this so often... i kinda let it slide since the reboot time is so quick on these things.

Christina1971

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Some choppiness with iTunes video playback?

Oh crap. my apologies, I meant to start a new thread, not add to this one.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I heard that if you had your MBA open at the same time the graphics power is divided between both the MBA and the ACD.

Complete non-issue. The GPUs have been powerful enough to push these kind of pixel densities for quite a few years now. We're not talking about running a 3D game spread over both monitors at full resolution here in high details, just running a desktop and watching movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.