trouble starting mac os 9.2.2

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by begintmeta, May 4, 2003.

1. begintmeta macrumors newbie

May 4, 2003
    I was using Mac OS 9.2.2 on my iBook, as I sometimes do, usually I use OS X 10.2.5.

After using Word and some other software (nothing unusual) I do a simple reboot - an error message shows up: "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest Installer to update this disk for this model. - (Reboot button)" I rebooted several times, nothing changes. So I boot up using my custom boot CD (created using bootcd&mac os 10.2.5) run disk utility (disk check an permission repair). I try again. I still get the same result.

So I switch the startup system to OS X 10.2.5 using my custom CD. Everything seems fine, I try to start Classic, I get the same error message in the Classic environment window. What should I do, I already tried resetting the PRAM. Would reinstalling the classic invironment from CD mess things up? Where are the software, files and settings that recognise&identify the system located, I might just replsce these with the ones form a backup.
  2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Everything for OS 9 resides in System Folder. You might try replacing the System (NOT 'system' directory) and Finder, the System file is obviously the basic OS and the Finder is the GUI on top of it. But it's kind of messy replacing those files off of an installer CD-- it's kind of a toss-up on whether the CD version is a full version or just an installer specific file.

When does the error message occur? after extensions start loading? Before anything at all loads?

4. begintmeta thread starter macrumors newbie

May 4, 2003
    It happens right before extentions would load (the small mac icon disappears). I will try to replace the system file with one from a backup now.
  5. begintmeta thread starter macrumors newbie

May 4, 2003
    It works, I have just replaced the "system" file in the "System Folder" with one from a backup a few days ago. I just wonder what has changed this file.
  6. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Mine does the same thing ever since the 10.2.5 update. Since I don't use OS9 at all I just shruged it off.