Trouble transfering old mac to new mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattniles007, Sep 24, 2006.

1. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I just bought a 20"iMac and I am trying to transfer over all my stuff from my powerbook g4. I have the cables attached and running migration assistance. When I press the T key and restart my powerbook it restarts with the firewall symbol and thats it.

2. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

thats whats ment to happen, holding down t starts firewire tagret disk mode which means if its plugged in to the imac via a firewire cable it will mount on the desktop as a removable disk
    personally i have never used migration assistant but if you are still having problems consult the instructions

3. mattniles007 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Thats what I was hoping for, maybe I am impatient but I left it like that for thirty minutes and nothing.

4. paradillon macrumors member

Migration Assistant

Are you running migration assistant on the new mac? Apps folder>utilities folder> migration assistant.:rolleyes:

5. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

hmmmmm
    have you restated both machines and tried again?

6. mattniles007 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Yes running migration assistant on the new mac. Also tried restarting both macs. On my new mac I am on the screen in Migration Ass. that says "now hold down T and restart old mac this may take 30 seconds. The old mac goes throught the motions and has a blue background with a firewall symbol.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is what is supposed to happen. The drive on the old Mac should mount on the desktop of the new Mac, as if it's an external hard drive. If this is not occurring, then you need to check your Firewire cable and connections because most likely it or they are the culprit.

8. mattniles007 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Thank you, I am thinking that is all there is left the dumb cords. I'll have to take them back tomm.