Trouble turning on PB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kerpow, Dec 17, 2005.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

See sig.

Sometimes, actually quite rarely - say once a month, I have a lot of trouble turning on my PB. It's definitely charged up but nothing happens when I press on the power button. Removing the battery, using just AC power etc. doesn't help. I'll hold down the button quite firmly for several seconds but still nothing. Maybe after a couple of minutes it'll kick in and I make a sigh of relief. Should I be concerned?

2. 1hot5.0 macrumors newbie

It sound's maybe as if your button is sticking or something? Have you tried resetting the pram and nvram?

3. kerpow thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Off to ask Google...

...ho-hum...

...ok. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

I'll give it a go sometime soon. It's not really the sort of thing I want to do in the middle of a football game though :)

Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any peripherals plugged in when this happens? Is your PowerBook behaving normally other than this?

The PRAM reset is really no more enduring than a regular restart. Maybe try a PMU reset if the PRAM zap doesn't work. Also, check the files system using fsck when you have the chance.

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Hmmmm... I'd think it's something with the actual powerbutton mechanism

mad jew - lol! your sig is nice! :D

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Actually, that's a really good point. Not sure how we can check it though. :eek:

7. umrdad macrumors member

maybe a PRAM battery w/flair for dramatic? also heard that certain hd's create a stronger magnetic field f**king w/sleep & start

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When the computer is on, if you tap the power button (but do NOT hold it down!), it should bring up a window asking if you want to sleep, shut down, or restart. If that window comes up consistently, the power button is probably physically okay. If not, then it is probably a defective switch or it's gummy or stuck....