trouble with apple usb modem on my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macman2790, Sep 17, 2006.

1. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    my modem unexpectedly drops the connection soon after i connect. It has nothing to do with the idle setting, it happens at various times. Can someone please help me with this. It's getting pretty annoying now.
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    If you have a problem you haven't given a shred of detail to the problem that can help us figure it out. Be more specific please. For all I know it's those Texas Gremlins.
  3. Raukan macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    Same issue

It's the same story with me, and it's as simple as that listed above. The Apple USB modem, straight from the package, worked and was easily configured on my Macbook (1.83Ghz Intel Duo, 2Gb RAM, OS X 10.4.7 fully updated.)
    When I went to connect to my ISP, the unit displayed the following issues -

1. Line would drop erratically and repeatedly. The time between line drops varied from 30 seconds to a maximum of about 15 minutes. The vast majority of drops occured within 3 to 5 minutes.

2. The reported connection speed varied widely from a low of 9600 to a high of 52000. There was no consistancy in the speed, although it tended to rise the more times I connected.

3. When testing the same line with an Acer 1691WLMi running WinXP and an internal modem, the connection was stable at a reported 46000Kbps and the line did not drop at all. The same was true of the same laptop with an external US Robotics 56K USB Faxmodem.

The ISP was the same in all instances and is the main national provider. Although I can't stand them, I can confirm that their service works adequately, which is more than I can say for the Apple USB modem. I am going to test the unit in the office later today on our dedicated and well tested modem lines to see if there is any difference in the unit's behaviour and will report same.

From a brief scan of Google this morning, and the reactions on Apple's own customer feedback pages, it does appear that this unit is flawed. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on tests to confirm this, I'd be grateful and willing to try them.

--- Raukan.
  4. harisdmac macrumors member

Aug 16, 2006
    same issues here: Very frequent disconnects at random times and extremely low connection speeds. Provider and line status have been tested with ordinary pc modem and work fine.
    Does anybody know any solution to the problem or any announcemnt from Apple?
  5. riciad macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2005
    Part of 10.4.8 fixes description.
  6. Raukan macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    Yes, I've noticed that from yesterday's update. I have not applied it as yet.

However, the following was noticed as I continued to test.

The Apple USB modem would not connect in a stable manner in any location (and I used 8 different lines in three different sites.) However, last night I connected and then opened a terminal window. I pinged my company's web address and left that window run indefinately.

Result - the Apple USB modem worked perfectly, with no dropouts, no disconnects and no other problems. The line speed was an excellent 55Kbps. It stayed connected for a total of 3 hours continuously.

After that time, I disconnected from my ISP and closed the terminal window (thus ending the ping command.) About five minutes later, I redialed. The connection speed was high, but the unit failed to work consistantly and the line dropped within five minutes.

I will report back on the results post-update.
  7. Raukan macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    Having tested the Apple USB modem thoroughly since applying the update, I can confirm the device is now working very, very well and is stable.

Just as well, as I was just about to return it out of sheer frustration.

Case closed. :D