Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
So i'm trying to get bootcamp on my computer (I had it working once, but I took it off so I could have more room)

anyway, I keep getting this:

this disk cannot be partitioned because verification failed
use disk utility to repair this disk

So I open disk utility and I run the repair...it doesn't fix anything really, or atleas it doesnt list anything that's been fixed...i also check to make sure my os x is "journaled" which it is...as you can see.....

any ideas what's going on? :confused:

osxrepair.png

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
1. You're doing it wrong.
2. Repair Disk NOT Disk Permissions.
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!

I forget how Disk Utility acts if you pick the drive itself or a partition on it.

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Eidorian said:
1. You're doing it wrong.
2. Repair Disk NOT Disk Permissions.
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!

I forget how Disk Utility acts if you pick the drive itself or a partition on it.

but the "repair disk" option is greyed out - it wont let me select it....

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You cannot repair the boot disk via Disk Utility if you're booted from it.

Boot from your installer DVD and repair the disk from there. Or.. fsck.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
charlestrippy said:
but the "repair disk" option is greyed out - it wont let me select it....
You might have to boot off of your OS X DVD and repair using Disk Utility there. I know you can verify it while booted. It must not like that it's mounted.

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
yellow said:
You cannot repair the boot disk via Disk Utility if you're booted from it.

Boot from your installer DVD and repair the disk from there. Or.. fsck.

see i tried that - I put the dvd in, clicked on the icon and it asked if I wanted to restart....(only option) ... so i clicked it - it then restarted, however, it looked as if it was going to reformat everything - I wasn't sure if i was in the right place - how do I open disk utility (or better yet, how do i boot from the dvd?) sorry...im still new to this...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
charlestrippy said:
see i tried that - I put the dvd in, clicked on the icon and it asked if I wanted to restart....(only option) ... so i clicked it - it then restarted, however, it looked as if it was going to reformat everything - I wasn't sure if i was in the right place - how do I open disk utility (or better yet, how do i boot from the dvd?) sorry...im still new to this...
Don't do the installer. Up in the menu there should be a utility menu. Disk Utility, System Profiler, and a few other applications show up there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.