Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cammo12kc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
Hi Guys,

Im sold my G5 computer to someone on ebay, but i need to erase the hardrive. I downloaded mac osx 10.4 .dmg files, there are 4 of them. I then mounted all of them and created a blank .dmg in DiskUtility and moved all the files into the blank .dmg from the other .dmg files.

I need to burn it to a cd so i can boot the computer and hold C key to bring up the menu thingy to erase the hardrive.

Anyone know how i can make this possible??

Help would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Cameron.

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
if they are 4 parts of a whole .dmg file ... you usually just make sure they are all in the same location (desktop) and double click the first one and it will grab the other three to make one large image. Then simply burn that to a DVD or restore that to an external drive and then you can use that drive to install 10.4 onto a PPC computer... since you are using a PPC G5.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Having stated you downloaded the dmg of Tiger, we cannot help you. Macrumors does not allow discussion of piracy.

Why don't you just use the original discs that your PM G5 came with?

cammo12kc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
if they are 4 parts of a whole .dmg file ... you usually just make sure they are all in the same location (desktop) and double click the first one and it will grab the other three to make one large image. Then simply burn that to a DVD or restore that to an external drive and then you can use that drive to install 10.4 onto a PPC computer... since you are using a PPC G5.

They were separate .dmg files i think. So thats why i had to mount and move all into one .dmg.

cammo12kc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
Having stated you downloaded the dmg of Tiger, we cannot help you. Macrumors does not allow discussion of piracy.

Why don't you just use the original discs that your PM G5 came with?

I got this computer of my sister who is a graphics designer, but i didn't get any cds with it. So this is just one off and urgent.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
regardless mate, your trawled osx of uncle torrent, you can ring apple to send you a replacement set, but what your doing is NOT legit.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if you want a free open source operating system then just get linux , runs on your G5 without trouble , but if you want OSX then pay for it like everybody else

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Uninstall all apps which you don't want to keep, delete your/sister's other files manually (those which are located outside /Users/youraccountname).
Next create new Admin account this way then delete old one.
At last, when you'll boot into new Admin account, perform Erase free space with Disk Utility.
This way you should get "brand new" OS without "being pirate" ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.