trouble with ext. firewire case and drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by itsaploy, Sep 27, 2004.

1. itsaploy macrumors newbie

I just bought an Ultraproducts external 3.5' firewire/usb case and a 200gB Western Digital EIDE HD.

Thing is - Ultraproducts provides no (zero) instructions on how to jumper the HD for use in a firewire setup - or any other setup for that matter - cheap product...Western Digital provides no instruction on how to jumper the drive when used with an external case - catch 22....

So, how do I properly jumper the thing? It's connecting to my 1gHz iMac 17" (256 mB ram), OS 10.3.5

BTW: I could get it to load files oK, transfering frommy internal HD - but every time I tried to upload video to it from my minidv Canon Camcorder via firewire - it knocked down the HD - unmounted it is what I mean, and crashed iMovie 04.

I assume I've got the settings wrong - since the HD has a much faster transfer rate than my Camcorder.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

M R

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    all of my external drives are set as "slave/secondary".

3. pncc macrumors regular

I would first two things:
    -try to use the drive w/out the camera. Copy/transfer files to/from the drive and your mac.
    -if that works OK, try transferring data from the camera to your internal drive w/out the ext drive.

You don't say what computer you have or if you are chaining devices or both are connected to the computer. If you have the camera connected to the drive which is connected to the computer, you will have traffic problems because data is going both ways through the one FW cable.

BAD: Camera – drive<->computer

Good: Camera
    \
    Computer
    /
    Drive

With only one device connected to the drive case, Cable select or master is the way to go as far as jumpers go.

4. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Do you have a link to the product page you bought it from?

Some bridgeboards are really worthless.

5. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

OK I looked it up, they only make 2 enclosures.

Set the jumpers to Master SINGLE.

Next time it might behoove you to ask on the boards before buying a firewire enclosure.

Firewire is an amazingly buggy protocol, and lots of bridgeboards are total crap.

6. itsaploy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks y'all for all the help- you guys are awesome.

I've got a "borrowed" West Dig drive from work to prove out the settings and the bridgeboard.

You are right - I should have asked first and I thank you for providing the education in this matter.

Regards,

M R