Trouble with Folding...

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Marlon_JBT, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Hello. I'm having a little problem folding for MacRumors.com team 3446... When I would start up the screensaver, it would come on, but I didn't really think it was working, and I couldn't see my name on the folding list. Now, I have ditched the screensaver, and I am using the application version. I have noticed that it is stuck on Loading and Benchmarking. Exactly how long does it take for this to work? I will soon start folding on the other computer (Windows XP) as well.

What's up?

2. Golem macrumors 6502

You dont see your name to you have folded 1 unit. Up to a week with 12'' pbook and screensaver I guess. 1-2 days for windows xp box:(

The image should change and their should be a green line at bottom that goes across as it does the unit. Give it a day before you look for the green line.

For some reason neither my g5 nor my old G4 800 after format and install would start on terminal version they both just sat at copyright blah,blah were it would normally say frame 0,1,2 etc for 24 hours before I swapped both to graphical version.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thanks for joining the team!

As always, please read the folding FAQ thread. :)

4. Marlon_JBT thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help. I got frustrated, and left my PowerBook to fold while I was sleep, for about 7 hours. I woke up, and it's at 5.5%! I was so happy, that it really does work.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's a good sign. Now, if you add some RAM to your machine, it will act as though it's really speedy. :)

6. Marlon_JBT thread starter macrumors 6502

Great!

Let everyone donate to the "Get Marlon's PowerBook G4 some memory" fund!

Seriously, if I were to buy some more memory, it would be 512MB....and I don't have $120 to pay to Crucial. (I trust no one else.)

7. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Eh...

Try the command line version of Folding.

It works FAR better for me, and seems like it has almost doubled my performance.

Plus, any idiot can use it, despite the imposing "command line" name. All you gotta do is click on a file.

8. Golem macrumors 6502

Not allways. I reformatted my old G4 tower machine which I will sell soon and reinstalled the console version and it just refuses to start. Now I have installed it on 4 other machines so its probably not some basic mistake on my part but for the life I me I could not get it working. It essentially has 10,2,8 + folding and thats it.