Trouble with Forty-Two DVD ripping?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by swahilibill, Feb 2, 2003.

1. swahilibill macrumors 6502

I have had some problems with this software. I have been trying to take my DVDs(Die hard with a Vengance) and make them into either VCD or SVCD and burn them to play in my DVD player. I have successfully extracted the .mpeg, and it is like 6 GIGs? How do I get it to VCD or SVCD format from there. Every time I put it into the VCD maker in toast, toast crashes! I am very confused, help would be appreciated!!! thanks in advance!!!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

6Gb!?! :eek: That doesn't sound right at all. That's probably near enough the size of the origional .vob files that make up the DVD. Are you using Fourty-Two v1 (released yesterday)?

Download v1 ;)

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Downloaded the new version (i had had problems with the old one), much simpler installation! unfortunately, the buttons are all grayed out. and it takes like a year to scan a DVD... but won't let me do anything with it... ack!

pnw

4. Draft macrumors 6502

Make sure to read all of both the readme and the manual. The solution to your problem is in there. You probably never completed the third step of the installation.

Draft

5. swahilibill thread starter macrumors 6502

6. theranch macrumors 6502

I'll help...

Read the post above your post. You have to read the READ ME and the manual within the fourty two folder when you install.

7. swahilibill thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: I'll help...

listen pal, thats not a solution to my problem, that ass posted his own problem in my forum I created. My problem is why when i try and create a VCD, its puts a large 6 gig file on my harddrive!

8. Draft macrumors 6502

Settle down. I was just helping paulwhannel out. Also, calling people names isn't going to get your question answered.

9. swahilibill thread starter macrumors 6502

Dont tell me to calm down, I had a question, no one helped me, and some other guy posted his problem in my forum, so yeah, I am a little angry!

10. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

DVD Ripping

I haven't don't this on my ibook, because I'm a cheapskate, and got the ibook 600mhz without a DVD, but I've done it on PCs alot, and it sounds like you didn't do any compression. You might want to look at that first. It sounds as though its ripped it fine. Once its in MPEG format, you can open it in just about any movie editor/player, etc and resave it with different compression (but that'lll take forever on a 6gig file!)

In short, check your output file compression settings.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Thanks... I had missed this step, i thought they did away with the massive install process since there were those nice little arrows telling you what to do, and the install steps were at the bottom of the manual so i thought it was the same manual as the original... anyway its been doing the initial transcoding process for quite a long time, hope it's not hung...

Blow me. if you post a thread asking for help, expect people to chime in with related problems. it's how this works. my posting did not mean your question would get ignored, it's just that no one can figure out what the hell you did wrong. don't be such a jackass, this isn't a place where you can demand to be helped... but people will usually help you if they can.

pnw

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: DVD Ripping

check your pm man.

rock