Trouble with iMovie HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sjpetry, May 31, 2006.

1. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Hi

I have a Canon ZR 200 Digic DV video camcorder. I can't seam to get my iMac or iMovie to recognize the camcorder in "TAPE MODE". But the computer does recognize it in "CARD MODE" and iPhoto pops up. I am using a USB cable.

If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Could it be because it is
    USB and not FireWire?:confused:

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

by card mode i'm assuming like a memory card like a digital camera uses. Do u have a card reader? try that...

4. sjpetry thread starter macrumors 65816

sjpetry

The video is on the DV Tape. The card holds pictures.:(

5. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

i may be wrong about this, but hear me out...

i have a canon camcoder as well. as far as my understanding goes, the usb output of the camera is only able to interface with the card and nothing else. in case you take any still pictures or whatever. in order to stream video into the computer you should be using firewire. i imagine the camera has a port on it somewhere labeled 'dv'. that's a minijack firewire 400 port. you can buy an adaptor for it most anywhere. and that should allow you to interface.

6. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Yes, this is right. I had the same problem with a Sony Camcorder a friend has lent me at the moment. I was messing about trying to get USB to do the trick, but as far as I understand it, iMovie relies on Firewire (I'm not even sure if USB2 can do as many things bidirectionally on camcorders - rewinding the tape and so on).

As exeterbohemian points out, just grab yourself a firewire400 to mini firewire cable, and bob's your uncle.