Trouble with Mail Program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by answer348, Sep 8, 2004.

1. answer348 macrumors member

I'm trying to use the e-mail program that comes standard on Macs, and I can't quite figure it all out. I want to set it up so that I can use my university e-mail and my AOL e-mail, for both writing and receiving. As of now, out of those 4 things, all I can do is receive my university e-mail. Can anyone offer help or suggestions? Thanks!

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Do either of those offer POP3 or IMAP access. If so make sure you have the servers set up correctly. Get the proper incominga nd outgoing servers. Some outgoing servers require authentication. If yours do you will need to that on in the advanced settings for the SMTP server. I believe the Mac help program can explain this with screen shots and so forth, but not 100% on that one.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The setup instructions for your university should be easy to input...

AOL is a little more difficult. You can follow these instructions to set it up. Let us know if you need more specific help on where to input the info, etc...

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In Mail->Preferences -> Accounts, do you have two accounts defined?

Presumably, the problems you have are with those settings.

Before you trying sending or receiving e-mail, select Window->Activity Viewer. This will open a window that will show you what is going on behind the scenes, and maybe give you a clue to the problem.

5. answer348 thread starter macrumors member

I followed that guide and now my AOL mail is readable with Mail, but I still can't send mail. What do I need to put as the Outgoing Mail Server, and with what settings?

6. answer348 thread starter macrumors member

I think I got it working. I needed to make my outgoing mail server smtp.comcast.net. Thanks for the help!