trouble with preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ero87, Apr 25, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

My teacher sent me a LOT of photocopied pages via PDF file. The problem is, every other page is upside-down. When i try to flip a particular page, it flips every page. Is there a way to fix this problem? Thanks guys.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Print out the PDF.
    Rotate each updside down page by 180°.
    Rescan the bundle.
    Convert to PDF.

3. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

I guess if you really had to. A slightly less difficult method would be to use PDFLab. You'll still have to separate all the odd pages, create a pdf file with them, reverse them, then add the even pages, and save as a pdf.

I couldn't find a program to allow you to selectively reverse pages, but it might be out there.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is actually a very simple and flexible menu choice in Adobe Acrobat.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can probably also do it with the Automator by using the Extract Odd & Even Pages action and then the Combine Pages action, both from the Preview actions. :)

6. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

I couldn't find it in Acrobat Reader, do you know if it's only in Adobe Acrobat?

7. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Oh that's cool. :cool:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:)

I actually just recently, for the first time, used Automator. I used it to create a contextual menu item in Finder that would let me right-click on items to Bluetooth them to my PDA. :) I wanted to make it so that I had a folder or icon on my desktop, and if I dropped the document on it, it would send it to the PDA (but leave the doc in its original location), but I couldn't figure this out. :(

It's a really cool application, though. :) I hope there are a lot more actions in Leopard.

9. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

i appreciate all of your help, but i just discovered there's another problem. It turns out that not EVERY other page is upside down; the pattern gets pretty erratic. I think i'm just gonna rotate the whole document as needed for each page - automator scares me.

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I do this exact thing for my family webpage. I drop images onto it and it makes them into a Quicktime slideshow. Just be sure to cmd+drag so that you make a copy, and not move them to the folder.

Make a folder on the desktop, name it whatever you like. Then, right-click and choose "folder actions". You should be able to browse to your workflow at that point. This makes it 'active' when you drag a new file into it.

Give it a try and let me know if you have more questions, rather than hijacking this thread, perhaps.

11. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

I do feel kindof violated :(

12. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

That always annoys me. Is it from an interlibrary loan service? That's when I run into the largest number of scanning problems (e.g., pages cutoff, upside down, contrast too high or too low to read).

Based on your "location" it looks like you might be in college, so you may have access to better copies of journal articles at least through your university library site. Won't help with chapters, or from any periodicals your library doesn't have an electronic subscription to, but it might be worth checking on a few.

So all you wanted to do was read the pdfs in preview? I think just rotating the pages as needed is the simplest solution.

13. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

very cool tip. USE AUTOMATOR WHENEVER POSSIBLE!