Trouble with Shiira and special characters

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GanChan, May 5, 2006.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

I have had continuing problems with Shiira sometimes substituting either Chinese characters or unrecognizable symbols for certain English-language symbols, such as apostrophes, dashes, etc. It doesn't do it consistently, just on certain web pages. I've tried changing the langauge preference to both Western Mac and Western ISO Latin, and while I got some improvements it still hasn't nailed the problem completely. Anything else I can try?

UPDATE: I just reloaded the page and the mystery symbols disappeared. What do you think would cause it to load the page wrong initially, then right the second time?

2. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

This is a known bug in Shiira.

Even though Shiira remembers you have set it to Western (ISO Latin 1) you will always have to go into the preferences pane every time you run the application initially so it will use the correct text encoding.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

That seems like a pretty significant bug. You'd think they would attack that kind of problem in a nightly build....

Well, poop. I guess I could go back to Safari. Or is there an older version of Shiira that doesn't do this? 1.2, maybe?

4. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I've been using Shiira for a while now and I can't remember a time when it didn't have this bug. :(

I'm just hoping they find a way to fix it soon. They also need to find a way to fix the autofill and authentication problems. I can never access my router's web panel.