troubles...is it serious?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applegirl, Nov 10, 2005.

1. applegirl macrumors regular

applegirl

I've been having a few problems lately, hopefully someone can help me out with this :). Recently I've been getting applications that "unexpectedly quit" more and more frequently. I can't recall having done anything in particular that might have caused this, any ideas on what it might be and/or how to fix? Thanks.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Try Repairing Permissions.

Also, specifically what apps are getting this? Is it all of them? Apple apps? Or just a particular one or two?

What OS and version number are you running?

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

what type of Apps are crashing ?
    what OS are you running ?
    what Mac do you have and what spec is it ?

repair permissions is the most simple thing to do but it may be more then that

more info please

4. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

5. applegirl thread starter macrumors regular

applegirl

more info

Sorry about how vague my post was.

I am running OS X (10.4.2) on a G4 iBook, and the apps that generally quit are ichat, safari, yahoo messenger (most frequently) and mail. My internet connection is pretty constant...would connection have anything to do with the application spontaneously quitting like that?

Any more info needed please feel free to ask...

6. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

If ever I run into problems like this, I just 'bite the bullet' as it were and start again. Backup and wipe the hard drive.

7. applegirl thread starter macrumors regular

applegirl

Repair Permissions

Ok, ran the 'repair permissions' utility...hopefully that will help. Thanks! :)

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I totally disagree. A format and reinstall is the last thing I'd do. Try repairing permissions first. Then get back to us.

Edit: A little late on my post. But the part about getting back to us still stands. If the problem persists, we'll keep throwing ideas out there.

9. jmort macrumors member

This is how I approached problems on my old PC, but my experience has been that the mac is more easily repaired, and with less drastic measures (most of the time) than PC's. It's almost always a non-issue to get the computer up and running well again with a few simple steps.

If you're having trouble with internet apps, I might also recommend that you run some utility to clean those up, beyond permission repairs, etc. A great (and free) utility that runs all of the cron scripts, empties caches, and cleans out your system is Yasu, available here:

http://www.jimmitchelldesigns.com/yasu.html

I run it every week or so.

10. applegirl thread starter macrumors regular

applegirl

Thanks...

This is also what I had to do with my PC, and exactly the reason why I much prefer the Mac. I downloaded the utility, looks good. Thanks jmort.

11. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Sometimes these things go away of their own accord. 10.4.3 may help too.
    Permissions repair. Trash preferences, clean up caches etc. A clean install is pretty drastic! Now, if you were saying you were getting kernel panics at startup.... :rolleyes:
    Edit - an app called ONYX may also help.

12. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

How much ram is in your iBook? Tiger likes at least 512 MB... This could contribute to apps crashing - after they hang for a while it can happen sometimes.

aussie_geek

13. applegirl thread starter macrumors regular

applegirl

I have 512MB in my iBook :)

14. mms macrumors 6502a

Somebody briefly mentioned trashing preferences, and yes, it might be causing some of the problems. However, preferences files are more often associated with unexpected quits upon startup of the application. Since you seem to be talking about random quits during use, it may not be applicable but still may be worth a try if permissions don't do the trick.

That being said, here is the MR Guide page that is associated with it:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Deleting_Preferences_Files

However, I wouldn't delete the preference files outright immediately. Instead, just move them out of the Preferences directory so that you can put them back and restore your preferences if they don't happen to be the cause.

15. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Trashing prefs doesn't delete them! - Aha! :p
    Be sure not to empty the trash though - that does! ;)

16. mms macrumors 6502a

Point taken.

But trashing implies getting rid of or throwing away for good. I'd rather temporarily move the prefs files to my Desktop. I don't exactly make a habit of temporarily storing possibly important files in my trash can.

I just wanted to emphasize the idea that you should save the files somewhere and make it easy to put back if possible, which wasn't made clear in the original post.