troubleshooting a 350Mhz iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rlmut, Aug 28, 2003.

1. rlmut macrumors newbie

:confused:

I just bought a 350Mhz iMac (no keyboard or mouse) for a very cheap price, but knowing it more than likely has a problem.
    Well it does, of course, it boots up to a flashing question mark.
    I've been to the apple support area and know that it can't find a startup disk.

One problem I'm having is that I am using a regular keyboard so I am not sure what location my keys are suppose to be?? I borrowed a OS 9 restore disk(which I can't get to eject now!) and tried the boot with the "C" pressed. Nothing happened, tried again with "ALT C" and I got a funky window with two buttons and my mouse started working. One button is a circular arrow and the other is a straight arrow pointing to the right.

Using a regular USB PC keyboard:
    - can I eject the CD with the keyboard?
    - what would the "command" & "option" keys be?

I doubt that it will help but I was going to try and reset the PRAM.
    Unless this keyboard will not work, I want to try resetting the system before looking at the hard drive.

Any advice is appreciated. This is my first mac as well as my first troubleshooting attempt. I'm trying to get this puppy running so I can show my wife the light and buy a new Mac.

2. zim macrumors 65816

zim

you can try ejecting the cd by starting up and holding down the mouse button at the same time.

3. rlmut thread starter macrumors newbie