Troubleshooting a 360 wireless controller

Discussion in 'Games' started by BengalDuck, Jan 3, 2007.

1. BengalDuck macrumors regular

I waited a year hoping that all issues would be fixed. However, my 360 controller is already messed up after I put my first game in. The right trigger seems to stick, and it makes it so the Coaches' Cam on Madden '07 either doesn't show or shows up over and over again. This is on my first play, too.

Is this just the trigger being stuck or can it possibly be a bluetooth issue, and I just haven't played enough to see how other buttons respond?

Also, this is my only controller, the one out of the box of the 360. Will Microsoft replace/refund it?

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

First, it's not a Bluetooth controller. ;) It's just 2.4 GHz RF.

Second, you've probably managed to do something to the controller itself – I've had two controllers for a year and have absolutely no problem with either of them. I've had two more for about three months, and not a single issue with them either.

You could try contacting Microsoft but I don't think the warranty extends to the controllers – I could be wrong, though.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Your best bet would be to contact MS and get it replaced. Buy yourself another control so you don't miss out on the good stuff...hope everything works out for you buddy.

Bless

4. T-Stex macrumors 6502

You could try opening up the controller and cleaning it out. If it's an issue with the physical controller itself, and not the controller communicating with the Xbox 360. As long as you've got the right tools, opening up your controller is really easy, and relatively risk free (although it probably would void any warranty on it, if one exists).

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have this problem too. It rarely did it when I first got my 360 in July, but now it does it all the time. The right/left trigger buttons physically do not feel or look like they are sticking but they continue to send a signal to the games after I use them (even when I let off)...to the point where I have to pull the battery out to stop it. This is happening more and more frequently.

6. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I've been experiencing the same problem. I can't remember what caused it, as I sent my Xbox 360 away for repair, and haven't set it back up yet. I think it started happening around the time that my Xbox 360 started freezing, so I'm wondering if the two were related.

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Try re-synching the controller with the console and see if that fixes your problem. (just a thought/idea)

8. ctr1085 macrumors newbie

Controller sometimes sticks...
    I have had the same problem and I think it was due to my wireless linksys router having a frequency close to the controller frequency.
    My problem would happen when I would play fightnight round 3 and I was in the fight store. when I went right sometimes it would go right 5 times or more.

All I did was re-sync the controller and everything was fine.

9. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Wash your hands before handing the controller. Alternately don't let dirty little kids handle it.

I buy vintage/used console stuff and always clean the hand funk off first thing. People are disgusting.