Troublesome Decision (Alienware or Powerbook)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CaVoLo, Jun 1, 2003.

1. CaVoLo macrumors member

alrite this is probably an unfair comparision but i just want to get your guys thoughts on this

i would like to purchase either an alienware desktop or a powerbook 17"

the only reason i consider the alienware is because for some reason i tend to be faster on windows (probably cuz ive been on it all my life...im sure i could change this once i get use to os x) and because it would be better for gaming

i was on a 17" powerbook at my friends house the other night playing good ole starcraft on their network and i was just dumbfounded by its beauty and sexiness....lol

but the alienwares are faster and have new technology in them (amd 3200, ati 9800, 1gb pc 3200 ram, 120 gb hd, 19" monitor) it all comes to about 3 grand

and the powerbook itself is more than that i really want the powerbook beacuse it would be nice to have for school....someone help me i could go back and forth forever

thanx for your opinions in advance

2. Pipian macrumors regular

Why the hell are you asking a Mac forum if you should get winblows or a mac? You know what they're obviously gonna say don't you?

They're gonna say Winblows!

:p

Uhh.. No. MAC!

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Since you're posting on a Mac board I think that we will come to one conclusion... :D

First off, you're comparing a notebook to a desktop computer. The desktop will obviously be faster, and the notebook will have portability. In my opinion, if I had to have one computer it would probably be a PowerBook.

Second, a $3200 AlienWare is designed for one thing: Gaming. If you are a HUGE gamer I'd go for a PC any day. You will find that games will run a lot better on the PC than on a 17" PowerBook. However, if you want to use your computer for other things I like the Mac for it's beautiful OS and included software (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, etc.).

The 17" PowerBook is an excellent machine (a tad large for me, though, I prefer the 15" or the 12"). very fast, very beautiful, and (sadly... :() very expensive. I suggest playing with it a little more before making your decision.

But I hope you go for the 17". :D

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't know why people say this everytime a windows user has a question like this. It's not true. There are a few people on here which are the typical zealot but not all of us are.

I really think those AlienWare boxes are really cool. Have you cosidered an AlienWare laptop? If you are ready to switch maybe you should chose something cheaper like the 15" rather then jumping in head first and blowing the whole wad before you know that you will even like the Mac. While I do think that the majority of people will come to prefer the Mac once they give it a chance there are still those that either still need a PC for games and business and still others that will never open there mind to something so different to what they were use to. In either case it's good to try new things.

I'm probably not helping much but as you said and know your comparisson doesn't really leave you open to discussion the two machines are completely different and built for a different purpose.

5. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

get a refurbished tiBook 15" and blow the rest on a cheapo gaming PC... see, you would have the cake and eat it too...

vSpacken

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

7. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

I think the question is:

"I have $3200 to spend on a computer. I know Windows, I have used OS X and was impressed, but I am not sure if I should switch. I am a gamer. I have seen and used the PB 17" laptop. Is it worth it to buy the 17" laptop instead of the Alienware desktop?"

--

I guess it is a matter of how hardcore of a game player you are. The PB 17" would be cool to take to LAN parties and the like, but it just doesn't have the horsepower to run the latest and greatest games. Not to mention the time lag of games from release on Windows vs release on OS X.

From what I can tell by your post, stick with the Alienware.

8. cubist macrumors 68020

Disagree. The Alienware is a portable desktop, its battery life is pitiful and it runs very hot, and after all that it is in a fragile plastic case.

You need to determine what your primary use for the computer is. Do you want a portable gaming machine?

I agree with the other poster who suggests getting a portable machine for portable stuff, and getting a gaming PC (or a playstation 2) for gaming.

I'd take the $3200 and split it as follows:
    $1800 - Powerbook 12". This is as rugged a laptop as you'll ever find. Use this for your word processing/email/spreadsheet work.
    $1100 - Gaming PC. Don't let anyone tell you you can build an acceptable gaming computer for $600. Budget $1000 and be prepared to go over.
    $300 - Monitor. OK, you'll have to shop a bit to get a good 17" monitor for $300 (and I do mean a CRT). You can use the monitor on the laptop when you're at home too.

Depreciation is murder on PCs too, you know. The Powerbook will still be worth $900 or so in two years; the gaming PC will be worth about $150.

9. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

i think the original poster wanted opinions on a alienware DESKTOP vs a powerbook 17".

dude, if ur gonna game A LOT.. go the alienware.. those machines have KILLER hardware... window$ is tolerable... but if u game a lot, u won't see it anyway.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Go for the Alienware. My friend has one of their computers, and they kick ass. :cool:

And I would never bother comparing a desktop and a laptop. Buy what you need.

11. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

For me, I'd buy the PowerBook. Its slick and sexy, it works, and your friends will be jealous. Hehe... play games on a GameCube... hehe

12. iMook macrumors regular

I'm an avid PC gamer, so I may have a slightly different slant on this than most other posters.

1. What will you use it for? If you love your games, then spring for the Alienware. If anything else, go for the PowerBook (might I suggest a 12"?)

2. Form factor: the new Alienware Area-51's (I'm assuming you're considering those) with the custom cases are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY BIG (compared to other desktops). Comparing the Alienware case to a G4 tower, the Alienware's about 1.3x as tall, noticeably wider, and noticeably deeper. My advice, go to Best Buy (if you haven't already) and look at one up close.

3. PowerBook is hands-down shekshier, but the Alienware has more of a my-cooling-fans-are-gonna-beat-you-to-a-pulp-in-one-clock-cycle look. If you want a sexy gaming rig, go for Voodoo or Falcon Northwest (though they still pale in comparison to the PB).

Your choice. Both are nice. If it were me, I'd go for the PowerBook (even though I'm a PC guy), but then again, I already have a decent gaming rig.

P.S. - if you want the Alienware in the end, it's cheaper and very easy to build your own rig.

P.P.S. - cubist makes a good point: go for a 12" PB, then build a decent gaming rig (unless you want to play HL2 or Doom3, GeForce4 Ti4400 + AMD AthlonXP 2300+ + 512MB DDRRAM is more than enough)

13. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

If you want a super expensive LAN gaming system go with the folks at Alienware. I went to them as part of a bidding process, -their machines have several out of the box features that we needed. Despite loosing the bid, they told us where to go for OEM parts so that we could have our tech guys build in their once exclusive features. I don’t have a problem with the companies ethics or outlook, besides their cases look very cool.

If you’re serious about work, I would go with the PowerBook. An Apple will get you though school.

You can have the best of both worlds, especially if you can afford a 17inch PB. Get an iBook or 12inch PowerBook for school, and build your own PC LAN gaming system on the cheap.

14. iDork macrumors newbie

Alienware is going to release a 17" wide screen Gaming Notebook in the near future.

TechZone Info

15. Cubeboy macrumors regular

If your really into gaming and want your machine to still be able to run the newest games in one or two years, than I'd go with the Alienware. Otherwise I'd go with the Powerbook, it's fast enough to run most games out today and is quiet, reliable, well built, portable (you can easily take it to LAN parties and the like or if your traveling you can play with it on the airplane/in the hotel), and a pleasure to use (unlike windows pcs). I don't really recommend getting a overly expensive desktop pc (like Alienware) right now. Both Pentium 5 and Athlon64 are set to be launched this quarter or the next, all Pentium 4s and Athlons are set for a major price drop, that $3000 cutting edge Alienware can be bought for less than $2000 with nearly all the specs intact. Or for the same price or less, you can get a system that will last you far longer if you but wait a little.

16. CaVoLo thread starter macrumors member

thankyou everyone for your responses.....
    its kinda split 50/50 with everyone
    but i think im going to go ahead and custom build a pc
    the only thing.....I WANT THAT ALIENWARE CASE
    o well....and once the 970 comes out in powerbooks
    ill go ahead and grab be one of those i figure ill have enough money by then to get one of those since it probably wont happen for a while :)

thanx again

17. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

For me, I'd buy the PowerBook. Its slick and sexy, it works, and your friends will be jealous. Hehe... play games on a GameCube... hehe

18. void macrumors 6502

ALIENWARE???!!!ROTFL!!!!!! Build it yourself man! The only people who buy alienware are like country joe's psuedo alternative gamer kid who knows **** about computers and thinks that "MACS" are toys. Build your own comp. Get parts from newegg.com and ask questions at the gamespot.com forums in the PC hardware board. Build a cheaper one to hold you over until 970 17 incher baby! Get an Asus 87n8x or an epox 8rda, Athlon "barton" 2500 radeon 9600 and other crap for less than 800 bux. Then save some more and buy the 970 17 incher when it comes out at some future date...