Troublesome Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macmadant, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Hey,
    last night i received a phone call from my granddad. saying his G3 iMac was flashing a ? mark at him and a smily face, so i told him to hold down the alt key at start-up to choose OSX, then he says nothing come up, so i told him to hold down the X key at start-up, still nothing so i thought his HD must have died, so i went round there with his original 10GB Hd that came with his imac, (i replaced it with a 80GB maxtor one) anyway i started up using the OSX DVD, disk utility tells me that the drive is Verified, but not formatted, i pondered as to how that could happen then went on to erase it and reformat it, nothing worked and it just stopped a 10th of the way so i took it out, and put the 10GB in, that worked fine, so i took the 80Gb home with me to take a closer look, and i still get the same results, i can't do anything unless it's formatted, which it won't let me do. Anyone know what to do ?, also SMART reporter tells me it's verified, it will also not mount on the desktop

Attached Files:

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well according to the disk utility it says SMART is not supported on this disk. Are you sure SMART status is supported? If it is then I think the drive is done for!

3. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

If it did die, it would be weird, he said it was working in the morning then wouldn't in the afternoon,
    Well it said verified earlier, and plus i checked again just a min ago on this:

Attached Files:

4. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could it have broke due to being a 7200 rpm, opposed to the 5400 rpm HD that the imac came with, i heard there can be problems with 7200 rpm drives overheating, if so i'll try and get a 5400 rpm one