'TruBlueEnv' hogging CPU time? what's up with that?!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by cb911, Jan 23, 2004.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

my PB has been running slow for a couple of hours, so i decided to have a look at 'top', and saw that there was a process that was called 'TruBlueEnv' taking up about 70-80% of the CPU. then i had a look at Activity Monitor and viewed all processes, hierarchieally and there was a process with the same PID, but it was called '(null)' and it was under 'WindowServer'.

well i thought that was a bit weird, so i just killed the process, now my CPU use is back down to about 30-40% from 100% before.

i was just wondering what that process was? anyone know what it does, or why it was behaving like that?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it's classic. you shouldn't kill it, you should shut it down from the classic pane of system preferences. OS 9 may well eat cycles as it performs different tasks, i'd have to see the system to tell you why it's eating resources when it's idle.

paul

3. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

oh yeah, Classic. i forgot about that. :p

at least it's good to know that the only weird stuff going on is caused my myself. he he. :)

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Which app in Classic was actualy eating all the CPU-time?
    If that app isn't "doing" anything, it shouldn't eat up all your Macs processor time....

5. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Most apps on OSX eat CPU.. whether they are idle or not, especially Classic.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if classic, or a classic app, crashed or hung, it could very well claim all CPU time not taken by other apps. i've seen this happen in both classic and windows... in fact, Word did it to me today, choked my system to a halt because it hung in the background. that'll teach me to have word running.

paul

8. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

I most certainly wouldn't say that. Right now I have at most half a dozen processes that are actually taking any cpu time - the other 50 or so processes are using absolutely 0% cpu.

Although there are very lame apps that do stupid things and idle above 0% - like MS Office =p.