Truck Blast at U.N.'s Iraq HQ Kills 20

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by applemacdude, Aug 19, 2003.

1. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I see this playing out in two ways. Either the Iraqis get pissed off at all this terrorism and stand up for their rights or they start believing they were better off before all this happened. Unfortunately, it's probably the latter. :(

2. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

What escapes me completely is why they would attack the UN -- the organization that has worked for peace, has no independent interest in Iraqi oil, etc.

According to a phone interview on NPR's broadcast of the BBC World Service, someone there said that there may be Iraqi resentment toward the UN for not acting to remove Saddam Hussein during the 90's. While this may be true, I find it hard to imagine this as an animating force behind an enormous car bomb.

I suspect that it's more likely that the militant Iraqis are becoming convinced that the UN has become something of a tool to justify (what they would call) "US unilateralism". If this is true, it could usher in a whole new period of danger for UN troops and operations in Iraq and elsewhere in the world.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I heard it reported that this blast was likely the work of an outside group (al queda was specifically mentioned) rather than the work of angry iraqis. *I have no way of knowing if this is true or not; it's just something I heard on the news.*

4. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I'd say that's pretty obvious.

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

6. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Now the UN cant sit on the fence,France Germany etc have now been pulled into Iraq is my feeling.

Groups like Hamas and Hizbollah etc want to fight with the Israelis and get return of Palestinian soil ,where as Al Queda want a muslim world.

Iraq is now full of foreign fighters from Syria and apparently now Chechnya {sp} as well,I would also assume Iran to.

There will probably be behind the scenes snippets of what happend tomorrow here http://www.debka.com/

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

terrible event. my goverment teacher was talking to me today. he goes jon, how do you feel about more and more of our soldiers dying each day. and i said, if you have noticed, more deaths have come since the guard went in there and the marines left. i feel the guard isnt as well trained as the marines, so there have been more deaths, but also situattions could be different, but im not over there so im not sure, just my assupmtion though.

iJon

8. gello2424 macrumors member

Don't you mean iJon?

But you are right I have a lot of friends over there and even have lost a few. But our boys are tuff and that is the hell of being the only super power (no mega power) in the world. Don't worry about our guard they are damn tuff when need be for a bucnh of "weekend warriors" as people like to call them.

I know this from my own time spent as a Pararescuemen. (PJ)

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's a very sad situation when 10 lives are lost and many injured. My prayers goes out to the family and friends. I hope that we are able to find those that are responsible. Also think that is was the work of outside terrorists like Al Qaeda!

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually the reports say 17 people died in the UN bombing yesterday. I heard someone on the TV say something about 500 pounds of C4-type explosives are estimated to have been in the back of that concrete truck. Insane.

Ansar al-Islam is suspected, but Saddam loyalists can't be ruled out yet either.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

oh i know they are tough, my dad was in teh navy and my brother was in the first desert storm, i am sorry for your friends, and in no way am i saying they arent tough, i praise any person who joins the military, and even more so if they end up going to war, they will be more of a man then i will ever be.

iJon

12. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Makes me wonder what the situation would be like if there was not all of that outside agitation going on.{foreign interference at all levels}

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Good to see our war against terrorism is working so so so wonderfully. :rolleyes:

Do america a favor and vote for anyone but Bush in 2004.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What was that quote from Wolfowitz? Something to the effect that he really wished all foreigners would stop interferring with the internal affairs of Iraq. Whoops! Bet he wishes he could rephrase that one.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that the war on terrorism is progressing very well. So far in the US we have had no incidents since 9/11. We can't expect that a country so violent as Iraq would adopt our views this quickly. Americans just have no patience.

We need Bush now more than ever in 2004!

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh great... toss this one in politics now too.:p