True 64 bit?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacVault, Aug 8, 2006.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

The impression I got from the keynote is that Leopard is somewhat 64 bit but not "fully" 64 bit. What's the deal with this? They did not just come out and say it is fully 64 bit. I have a fealing my PC buddies will pull some reason out of their hat that my favorite OS (OS X) is not as close to 64 bit as Windows XP/Vista is. Can anyone explain this to me? Is there nothing to worry about?

2. Timepass macrumors 65816

far as I understand it Leapod will not be 64 bit yet. And yet it agian it will lag in that area as being the only major OS that is not have a truelly 64 bit verson out there.

It base is still 32 bit and it allows for the use of 64 bit but until it base code is 64 bit it just emulates it. with a 64 bit shell on top of a 32 bit base. not a very stable way of doing it.

3. vd0t macrumors regular

according to apple.com:
    "Now Cocoa and Carbon application frameworks, as well as graphics, scripting, and the rest of the system are all 64-bit."
    "Now that the entire operating system is 64-bit"

source: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/64bit.html

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If you watched the keynote you would know that there is not emulation going on at all with Leopard. It is a true 64bit OS that is capable of running 32 bit apps. There is also 32 bit capabilities so that it can run on 32bit processors.

From what I hear, Windows 64bit sucks and is very unstable. If your Windows buddies pull that out just laugh because they are wrong, very wrong.

5. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, I don't know... they say "the rest of the system" but it sounds almost like there is some reason they can't just say, "IT IS FULLY, 100% 64 BIT".

6. 59031 macrumors regular

What's wrong with you? Why are you so insecure? IT'S FULLY 64 BIT THAT IS WHAT THEY SAID.

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Well, it runs on 32bit machines so they can't say that. However, if it is running on a 64bit machine it runs 64bit. If an app needs 32bit support it uses the 32bit stuff. Think of it like have the 32bit and the 64bit installed at the same time. Applications run on whatever part they need, so a 64bit app runs fully 64bit.