Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inukshuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Hello all iPad users. Question i'm hoping some of you may answer. I'm trying to find a true copyright and trademark symbols on the iPad. No luck - has any of you found it? Much appreciated. :confused:

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Cannot add symbol keyboard

I had wrongly assumed it would just be a case of adding an additional symbols keyboard but that sadly is not the case. I would have thought they could put these commonly used symbols in, instead of duplicating the comma and full stop on each of the three standard keyboards they offer, alphabetical, numerical and symbols. I will leave it as a suggestion on the apple website. Might be worth waiting to see if this is something that turns up in iOS4.

Wilson

Melaman

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Copyright symbol

I got around this by simply putting the symbols I want to use in Pages on iPad, into an email on my iMac. Then opened the email on iPad, copied and pasted! Simple! :p

Now if only there was a way to disable a text that names a website from actually linking. So for example, if you type on the iPad, in the 'Document Setup' page: http://www.anysite.com - which I have done as I put the copyright logo next to my website name. But it comes up as a link each time, and I don't want it to do that, just want it to sit there and look pretty as part of the page.:confused:

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I haven't specifically found the copyright symbol, but I DO know that if you tap and hold the various keys, you get special symbols. I'll try looking later.

I also know that on the iPhone, you can get both the Copyright and Trademark symbol by activating the emoji keyboard. I don't know if that is even possible with the iPad.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
I haven't specifically found the copyright symbol, but I DO know that if you tap and hold the various keys, you get special symbols. I'll try looking later.

I also know that on the iPhone, you can get both the Copyright and Trademark symbol by activating the emoji keyboard. I don't know if that is even possible with the iPad.

nope, copyright and trademark symbols do not seem available with the regular tap-and-hold keyboard shortcuts on iPad for other symbols, like accented characters.

and they're also missing from the iPad's emoji set

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Hello all iPad users. Question i'm hoping some of you may answer. I'm trying to find a true copyright and trademark symbols on the iPad. No luck - has any of you found it? Much appreciated. :confused:

I'm pretty sure that you can do this with and iPad paired with a bluetooth keyboard using Option-g. (I don't know about the ipad specific keyboard dock.)

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
I'm pretty sure that you can do this with paired with a bluetooth keyboard using Option-g works. (I don't know about the ipad specific keyboard dock.)

yes, I can confirm using the Bluetooth keyboard you can type the copyright symbol on the iPad with option-g

agencius

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
Two iPad App's Cymbol is better, iEmoji emoticon alternate is out there

Not true!

Some basic emoticon iEmoji iPad App's will do a true copyright ©, as a single character entry.

Cymbol on iPad is out there, reviews are there indicate it is more powerful as an editor.

http://idevicesworld.com/features/cymbol

http://ipadcto.com/2012/03/22/pilcrow-dagger-and-copyright-a-writers-symbols-characters-and-scripts/

Okay, iPad does support superscripts and subscripts, plus other items via that Cymbol App in the App Store.

Spread the word to help end the frustration of other writers!

Also, you can type in other special characters with the hex to Unicode conversion, giving access to thousands or other symbols and foreign language sets.

So just Google for the hexadecimal and highlight inside of the snippet editor environment of Cymbol App with copy all button, paste into your other editor or iWork App, Keynote, Numbers or Pages.

Note, the Apple Volume Purchase Program for buying iPad App's includes this one too. So as a companion for Keynote, Numbers and Pages, it is a logical combination.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
© <-- copyright symbol

This was posted from my iPad

EDIT:

Forgot you wanted trademark too

Here are some more

® 

EDIT again:

btw I did this by

IMG_0018.png

IMG_0019.png

EDIT one more time:

Alternatively you can use the shortcuts for something like

copywrite = ©

or

trademark = ™

or even

: ) = &#55357;&#56842;

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.