True HD Playback

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by hijar69, Sep 9, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2010
    Does the old aTV support True HD? If so what are good settings in Handbrake?
  2. macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    If by “true HD” you mean 1080p, then no, it does not.
  3. macrumors 68040

Jan 13, 2008
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2010
    Correct! Does anybody know? I'm connecting through an Onkyo TXSR606 and I know that through my Blu Ray player I get True HD. I'm trying to figure out encoding for audio. I have ripped MKV files that have True HD, just trying to figure out the setup.
  5. macrumors regular

May 19, 2007
    I dont think it even plays dts let alone lossless audio. No mac can play it right now
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2010
    My receiver has a signal of dts through the setting of Neo:6 Cinema believe it or not but thanks for the answer on lossless
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2010
    Can anybody explain the difference between Dolby Pro Logic II and 6 Channel Discrete in the Mixdown section under Audio tab in Handbrake?
  8. macrumors 68000

Jan 26, 2006
    Whitehouse, OH
    One is a two-channel matrix surround sound format (DPL2), the other is six-channel discrete surround sound in AAC format. Not many devices can properly decode multichannel AAC if I remember correctly.

By spec, any Bluray with a TrueHD soundtrack must also include a standard Dolby Digital (AC3) 5.1 soundtrack (either standalone or contained within the same track). Handbrake can recognize and use the AC3 5.1 track when encoding from a Bluray source. There is currently no way to mux a TrueHD track into the mp4 container and have it playback through the AppleTV.