Truedisk

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Mar 7, 2007.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I looked at the site.

Seems like a waste of money - to me (i.e., IMHO). Snake oil, as far as I'm concerned.

No software can protect against truly damaged disks, and I'd imagine that you'd want to make regular backups anyway, so one damaged file shouldn't be too hard to find on another disk.

Yes, I'm sure it uses error correction to help reduce risk. But... I'm skeptical that it would actually in any way be worth its cost.

Edit: I re-read the site and looked at the blog. My opinion has improved. I'm not sure it's worth the cost, though - I mean, DVD's are well under a dollar now, and it seems pretty cost effective to just burn them more often, but... it's at least an interesting concept.

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Of course I take backups.
    But this seemed to be something additional to it.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

From my reading of the TrueDisc™ homepage, it seems like a filebackup scheme with verbose error correction. I have great difficulty understanding the economic case for this over standard backups. My experience with file damage has almost always been caused by media damage or drive failure. I don't see how TrueDisc™ can help me with either cause.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

From what I can see, TrueDisc is directly targeted at helping recover data from discs suffering from media damage. The blog entry they posted today expands on how they do it.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have it backwards. TrueDisc™ is not a data recovery utility. It is primarily an archive utility. It archives data in its proprietary redundant cell format which allows files to be retrieved in the event that they become damaged. However, it cannot recover non-TrueDisc™ files.

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Agreed, but for disks written using TrueDisc, data retrieval is more probable (allegedly) from damaged media than normally written disks.