Truphone 3.0 Now Available in App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 28, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Truphone [App Store, Free], one of the most popular voice-over-IP phone solutions for the iPhone, has been updated to version 3.0. Among the new features are improved voice quality, instant messaging support, and improved performance.

Truphone 3.0 is a free download offering free calling to other Truphone, Skype and Google Talk users over Wi-Fi, and several combinations of monthly fees and unit charges for landline and mobile calls and SMS are available.

Article Link: Truphone 3.0 Now Available in App Store

2. macrumors regular

Now just to get this working over 3G, hmm, fiddling aho methinks :)

3. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

From their website:

4. macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i have used this on 3G and edge in UK on o2.

5. macrumors 6502

Until iPhone supports background apps or the push messages for apps, this is kinda' pointless. But once the push messages starts working for apps, people could see they have an incoming call and open the app. That will start making VoIP for iPhone relevant.

6. macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I have a feeling 3.0 will come along side Mobile iChat. Which will allow voice chats if not 'video chat'. Also apple will have the power to give their app true background processing and blow all other messaging apps away.

True this and skype have an option to buy landline access which I don't see Apple supporting anytime soon.

7. macrumors 6502

To get it to work on 3G, download something called ProVol3G (or w/e) from cydia. It tricks apps into thinking 3G is WiFi.

Does anyone know if it has a "<AIM SN> is typing..." feature? AIM doesnt and thats a necessary feature :( Thanks!

8. macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I have used Truphone to make scores of international calls and it has saved me a fortune. I also like that you can see exactly how much a call costs. The downside is that it needs wi-fi but that's nor so hard to find at cafes, bars, hotel lobbies, etc as one travels.

9. macrumors 6502

Keep dreamin...:rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502

I'm going to try it out.