Truth finally surfacing in the sea of lies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Pinto, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Pinto macrumors newbie

link

So lets here the excuses about why it's ok to lie to the public to start a war, whom the main beneficiaries of are your big business mates.

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I don't recall a post from anybody, in my relatively short tenure here, excusing lying. Many of us were originally dubious that the lies were indeed lies--and that's a different matter entirely.

I, for one, pointed out early on that the hype on WMD was not necessary to justify ending Saddam's rule. As to WMDs themselves, most of my own opinions or beliefs carried over from the Desert Storm era and the lack of evidence of destruction of the then-existing materiel. Plus, we do know as fact that Saddam did have ongoing programs for bugs and chemicals.

I guess what really chaps my butt is that lies were told that were totally unnecessary. I expect a certain amount of spin and hype, and glossing over harsh realities when government people are selling some deal. But outright lies? Worse, unnecessary lies? Lies, that sooner or later are gonna be shown as lies? That's dumb.

So now we gotta deal with all the implications of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". Not good for the country.

'Rat

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So what do we do about it? You still gonna vote Bush in '04 'Rat? Are your guns more important to you than the truth?

How do we get the credibility of the US back? The next time we see a threat rising up against us, will the CIA have the ability and fortitude to make the call, even if it goes against an administration? Will the world listen to us the next time? I'd be skeptical at best if it was me.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, you ever get tired of voting against, instead of voting for? (Sorry about answering a question with a question. :) ) I wonder how many electoral college votes would accrue to "None of the above."

I probably won't really know for whom I will vote until late October, next year. Helluva note.

'Rat

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I haven't found anyone worth getting excited over voting about recently. Sorry if that bums you out. It is definetly a lot easier to pick out who I'm NOT voting for as opposed to who I am voting for.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think the White House would agree with your assessment. You seem to be ignoring the fact that the administration felt it that it was imperative to concoct a scenario that painted Saddam as a front and central figure in international terrorism as key to obtaining public support for the Iraq adventure. The motivation here was geopolitical; human rights only came into the picture as an after-thought. I don't see the Bush administration expressing a Carteresque human rights-based foreign policy, do you? Are they going after other tin-pot tyrants?

I see you are having an increasingly difficult time excusing the administration's cynical manipulations of the facts. Start expecting and demanding the truth, and you might even get it. Apologize for spin and you will certainly get more of that. Respectfully I will suggest that you begin to think of this as the Bush administration's Tonkin Gulf.

7. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

Anyone complaining about the so called lies now i doubt believed them in the first place. If clinton lied no democrats would care. this all boils down to party politcs. For those who are from the international comunity, do you not think that your leaders(UK and Aus) lied to. Do you actually believe that they did not know what they were doing. I would be in favor of the war even if it was all a lie. Who cares why or how we got their, the point is that the US took charge and took action to knock off a evil man. We should have done this in the first gulf war.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bull****. i hated that ****ing "definition of is is" crap.

bull**** again. does your party affiliation excuse it? mine doesn't, regardless of who says it.

it's also incredibly disingenuous to equate lying about infidelity w/ lying about invading a non-threatening, sovoureign nation.

wow, i think i won't take your political arguments seriously ever again. you get all the **** from your government you deserve. who else do you let lie to you?

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So we should go to war against all "evil" people without reason, sacrificing hundreds of US troops and untold thousands of innocent civilians just because their leader was a bad guy?

Put me in the "never taking your political views seriously again" column too.

A lot of Germans actually thought Poland invaded them in 1939, too.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They say we get exactly the government we deserve. Unfortunately, a lot of us end up getting the government other people deserve.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no kidding.

hey jonapete2001, give me your vote next fall. i'll put it to good use.

12. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

The US lost its credibility after Vietnam, because the entire country didn't want them their and it took the US admin 4 or so years to figure that out.

The world doesn't listen to you, only Tony Blair and John Howard.

13. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

The US put that evil man their in the first place, the same with the Taliban in Afganistan, and numours dictators in South America.
    And the poms helped in the formation of israel.

Currently the US has only itself to blame for the problems in the middle east since it has been the one stirring the siht so to speak.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hahahahaha.... this will be one of those classic posts that lives in infamy. I'm guessing you had a different opinion about lies when they were about blowjobs, no?

Actually, nevermind... This is so bad I can't even take it seriously!

Bring 'em on!