Truth not a rumor!

Discussion in 'Community' started by bunton, Aug 7, 2002.

1. bunton macrumors member

This is the truth not a rumor.

I threw 2 apple color monitors from 1992 or some shizz like that off a four story parkig garage and they blew the heck up like crazy noise. I was wondering if anyone wanted to see this. I also have one more of the same monitor and dont know what to do with it??

Want it?

Smash it?

Use it?

Try to run XP on it? (probly works better)

Shut up and never post anything again?

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

a) Are you a Mac User

b) Its fun blowing up monitors and TVs :)

c) Can you e-mail me the movie (ensign@brooklineuk.com

Ensign

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Destroy! Destroy!

And post the movie!

We want destruction! Blow **** up! w00t!

:D

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Monitors from that era contain all sorts of nasty chemicals... I hope you cleaned up after yourself. :eek:

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

6. xelterran macrumors 6502

i seem to remember dooing the same to my old amstrad pII after it was taken in for its 15th repair!

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Before this goes any further, this should be in some other forum, not the Hardware Rumors.

Second, bunton, why didn't you just sell it for money? Think of what you could do with a few dollars!

But throwing stuff off like that truly is sad. :( :( It may seem cool to you, or to a few other geeks :rolleyes: but you have just ripped up a sum of cash by throwing the monitors out the window, instead of letting some geek pay to have it. And no tape will bring that money together again.

If you get paid to destroy **** then my emotions would go from :( to :eek:

You should get a job as a construction worker. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Definitely videotape it and post a link to the video. Maybe you should paste a picture of Windows XP on the screen and then throw it off. Oh and if King Cobra is in the vicinity throw it in his direction. If he wants the money he'll catch it. :p

9. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

KC: Meh, he's paying for his entertainment, just as someone would pay for a movie or a computer game.
    Bunton: Way to go man! I wanna see this movie!

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Say what, pigwash? :p

If heXPee is on the screen I'd rather not! :rolleyes: :p

edit (in Re to topicolo): How does that make me any different than someone who pays for a movie/DVD?

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Post the movie - it would be quite entertaining - sort of like Letterman when he would throw all sorts of things of an 8 story building.

D

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

All right. This thread seems to have gone out the window. :D :D :D :D

All because of you wierdos.

Attached Files:

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

bunton, let me guess, your father is also your uncle... :eek: :eek: :p

Prime example of why brothers and sisters shouldn't marry/breed.

Didn't they use arsenic in computer parts from back then??? Or some other equally dangerous/toxic chemicals??

14. neilt macrumors regular

Alpha,
    I am pretty sure it is mercury, not arsenic. Mercury is in the CRT tube (yeah, yeah i know the T stands for tube :rolleyes: )

neilt

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

It would be good to get confirmation either way... How about the circuit boards??? Any nasty chemicals used in the processes there???

16. neilt macrumors regular

_

Lead is an extremely toxic compound. When used properly, it is an important, critical component in many of our modern conveniences. However, when used improperly, or disposed of carelessly, it is a deadly poison.

The cathode ray tubes (CRTs) in your discarded computer monitors and televisions contain lead, in addition to phosphorous, cadmium, and mercury. These hazardous materials are sealed away to protect users, but they will seep out in a landfill once the CRT is broken -- and eventually find their way into the public water supply.

In addition, when the glass is crushed in a trash-compacting facility, the lead-bearing particles become an airborne hazard. These noxious substances, especially the lead, can be an imminent, dynamic health hazard if they are breathed or ingested in appreciable quantities.

At particular risk are Sanitation Personnel who handle, truck away, or incinerate these toxic materials.

That's why, beginning in 1992, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) banned the landfill dumping of CRTs. And in 1993, the EPA began targeting companies that dispose large quantities of CRTs through landfills or incineration. In addition, many state and local regulatory agencies are now monitoring the disposal of CRTs and other computer equipment.
    http://www.advancedrecovery.com/environmentalissues/html/crt__.html

And the St. Pete Times says:
    Computer circuit boards also contain mercury switches, silver, gold and other metals that fall under the government's hazardous waste regulations.

I obviously have nothing better to do with my time. :rolleyes:

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

lead-mercury solder of the old days...nasty stuff

18. bunton thread starter macrumors member

Wowzer

Hello everybody!!!

I listened to you all and decided to smash the third one for sure with a XP pic taped on or something like that. I also thought about putting it in my new imac box and dumping it out of that so that people would be like whoa no way!!!

But I am not going to do it off the parking garage(4 stories). I have just recently met a kid who works and has keys to a apartment building in my town and the roof is around 14 stories up!!! So I hoope he can hook us up!

About posting the movie I am currently making a movie at BSfilms and it is due out late september. I will post this thing as soon as I get the third one smashed.

Other things in the movie, a toilet off the parking garage a tv two now to be three moniters a couple bikes, a 8mm sony handycam, a person out of the second story and lots of other craziness and hardcore bush jumping.

Oh and to all you who dissed me! Eat it? Yeah! I do make money off this footy when it helps sell the film and I would rather smash an electronic device then get 20 bucks for it!!!

19. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

nice, hope that when i'm older than 15 i can get paid to throw stuff off of an apartment building too.

20. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

YES!

OMG, 14 stories, thats awesome. Damn, I wish I could watch that! You better record it, that will be awesome man!

I can imagine....

*drop*
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l

KABOOM!

21. bunton thread starter macrumors member

Afulmckoinstg a god

What the hell any one want to talk **** to me??????

I will be famous one day you watch and I'll destroy you go ahead talk trash, talk trash to 2 quarters of origgy BS.

"A f-16 hit the Pentagon on September 11th, not a 747 or any other civillian aircraft, it was an attemp for the cover on ........."

-president Bush within the next year.

22. ponyboy macrumors regular

Wow bunton youre so crazy and wild I cant believe it, your like the most insane crazy wild person ever the stuff you do is like crazy and wild I have never seen anyone do that crazy wild insane stuff before youre like out of control where do you get your crazy wildness from man it is nuts did I mention that youre crazy wild insane nuts..... oh and totally unoriginal

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Based on the previous posts on types of hazardous waste, I'm now accepting large quantities of waste gold and silver (in 99.9% purity) and will gladly dispose of it properly for you. No reason to pollute landfills with this stuff.

---

There are lots of nasty chemicals used to make circuit boards, but to take the metals back out of boards they just run them through chipper shreaders and turn them into pellets. Burn the pellets to ash and sift the ash to recover the metals.

Think of all the nasty gases from the plastics, epoxies, and boards as they burn. Not to mention the silicon chips themselves - if you look at the processes for a lot of chips they're a soup of very nasty chemicals.

In the US they burn at very high temps and monitor the emissions, but a lot of the computer recyclers send the boards and computer parts to the lowest bidder (third world countries) for burning/recovery.

24. bunton thread starter macrumors member

OH

Yeah my thread was about people saying unoriginal and wow y a N m W so you go and post that that that that stutter is re- re tart to pop of the tart Ed hey ed>?????