Truth of the new iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iJon, Feb 12, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    I have been reading many forums on this and other mac sites. Someone may have already talked about this or confirmed it but I couldnt find anything so I thought I would let you guys know. Many people have been told that the new iMac's will boot into OS 9, the determing factor being the lack of firewire 800. First of all, my 12 inch powerbook does not have firewire 800 and doesnt boot, but we all knew that. We have the new Ghz iMac on display at our reseller. I went into the System Prefs and just as I expected, OS 9 isnt even a boot option anymore. So just to let some of you people know that if you thought you were getting a new Bootable OS 9 machine you will be out of luck. Just thought you guys might want to know that. If somebody has already mentioned that simply delete my thread.

2. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    What about Classic?

What about Classic mode? I knew new PowerBooks will not boot OS 9, but aren't they suppose to support Classic mode?

If they do support Classic mode, where can we get OS 9 disc to install into new PowerBooks?
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    If OS 9 isn't a boot option, maybe it's just not installed.

All Macs, new PowerBooks included, support Classic. Since OS 9 isn't bootable on them, I'm guessing Classic must come with enough of OS 9 included to work.
  4. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i mean actually booting into os 9. they all have os 9, but you can us classic mode, but cant actually boot into 9. all the new powermacs and powerbooks can boot into to classic as well, but not the real os 9. does that clear things up?

5. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    I know this may be nit-picking, but the correct terminology can help prevent confusion.

One does not boot into classic, one runs classic or maybe runs old(classic) applications in classic mode. Booting implies that it is the operating system controlling the machine.
  6. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    How many people still boot into 9 anyways? Maybe quark users? I think i read quark doesn't do well in classic. Other then that, doesn't classic flip the bill for enough users that non 9 booting should not to be an issue?
  7. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2001

For games, mainly. Myth 2 doesn't work with RAVE acceleration in Classic and Deus Ex is too choppy.
  8. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    For people with older video cards, such as the Rage 128 still have to boot into OS 9 to get anything near decent gameplay.
  9. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    I currently use two programs that have trouble in Classic Mode... SimCity 3000 and Starfleet Academy. Both use a large amount of CPU and have 3D acceleration. I'm a little unerved about SC3K not working well in classic, I shouldn't have any problems, and it doesn't until you try to open a city. And SFA really shouln't have the problem considering it was written to run on a PPC 601 with 8MB ram, and I'm trying to run it on a G4 with 768MB of Ram. Everything else I use (Including Photoshop 3.0) works well in Classic mode. In fact three programs (Including Photoshop) run better in classic than in OS9. I'd be willing to give up OS9 Booting it just those two great games would run better in OSX's Classic Mode.

10. pianojoe macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2001
    N 49.50121 E008.54558
    Coda Finale
    Route 66 Europe
    Emagic Logic Audio Platinum
    (yesyesyes, it's available for OS X, but some of my vital plug-ins aren't)
  11. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Well, well... just to let you know I just deleted the OSX partition I had in one of my Macs, I have 3 computers runing OS 9.2.2.:D

I see OSX so far away from me... I have tons of applications that doesn't run on OSX and I do not want to go out and get some more memory just to be able to run the same apps on clasic mode under X, no way!.

I'm ok with OS 9. OSX is not that fast any way and I would need to switch all my apps to OSX and I just do not want to spend so much time in to Hotline any more.

By octuber aor may be a bit before I may be on OSX 100%, for now I'm satisfy.