Try Opera

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by celebrian23, Jun 20, 2006.

1. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

You know, I decided randomly to install opera today (I'm a firefox user) and I really like it. I'm quite impressed. I don't see opera mentioned as much as camino, safari, and firefox. :) It was super easy to import my bookmarks. I think I'll see which I prefer after a couple of weeks.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The only problem I have with Opera is that the search bar is all screwy on some of the sites I go to. When I type text in the search bar at some sites the bottom of all my letters get cut off. Other than that Opera is very fast.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

oh wow, I used Opera when I was back in Classic. I completely forgot about it since then, but it sure is fast. What's this? Did I just replace my Safari icon on my dock with Opera? Weird... ;)

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I liked Opera back when I had OS9, but now I prefer Safari, because I like the bookmarts managment system, fast loading times, lightweightness, integration into the OS, etc etc :D

6. bloodycape macrumors 65816

For some odd reason I rather use i firefox on my Apple systems while on my pc I am a diehard Opera fan and will use it on every site it supports. hmm maybe i should try it again. Does anyone know how to import opera setting from a pc to opera for apple? Thank you

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I do not agree with your signature... ;)

8. Hobodale macrumors member

Hobodale

I have been trying to use opera the last couple days and for the most part I like it(its a lot faster than Safari) but the thing I dont like is the fact that I cant have a bookmarks bar like in safari, firefox, etc.. Is there a way to make a bookmarks bar? I really like the browser but I dont want to use it simply because of that.

9. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

There'll be a file on your PC called Opera6.adr which will contain all your bookmarks. You can probably transfer that to your Mac quite easily. Maybe :D

I used Opera all the time on the PC, by far the quickest and fully featured browser at the time. Now I've ditched both PCs and Opera, I've become quite reliant on Firefox now. It may be a tad slower but I think its pretty on the Mac, and I cant live without Extensions now!

10. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

:eek: :eek: :eek: I never thought I'd see the day when someone would use pretty to describe Firefox as "pretty"- especially the Mac version!

11. jive macrumors 6502a

You can have themes for FF. Mine makes Safari look ugly.

12. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I think firefox is quite lovely on the mac too :)

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I got pissed about that too, but I figured it out.

Go to the Tools menu, select 'Appearance'. Go to 'Toolbars', and make sure 'Personal Bar' is activated. You'll see a couple of search bars appear above the main web address area. Right click them to get rid of them, and you should be left with a blank space. Now, from the Bookmark Manager, you should be able to drag all your bookmarks to that blank space.

Just like Firefox, but above the address bar rather than below.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here- I love using Safari (most of the time anyway). :)

15. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

I've been hearing good things about the new version of Opera. I used to use Opera before there was a Safari and the only other options for OS X were IE or Netscape. Opera was pretty terrible back then (though so were the other Mac browsers) Then I discovered Mozilla, which worked better than the others but was slower than death. Now I use FireFox and Safari depending on what I am doing. Maybe I'll give Opera another try...though that stupid ad thing was really annoying.