Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
ill just save the paper:

"it's too ****ing big. it is uncomfortable to use, and you cannot use it one handed. no."

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
At this point it's more reasonable to expect Apple to double the screen resolution again. Why would they use an iPad pixel density for a phone? Android manufacturers are coming out with > 450 ppi screens now

philoscoffee

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
UK
My prediction for the iPhone 6’s display resolution: 1364 × 768 at 326ppi on a 4.8” display (do the maths!). :p

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Apple would never just increase the screen size and drop the ppi. Their customers are too smart for that..............or are they?

Are you talking about the people that will stand in line all night in the cold to buy a product they have never even seen?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I printed one out on thick photo paper to try out. I just think it is too big. I bet I use my iPhone 4s 90% of the time with one hand. The commercials are right.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
You're confusing ppi with screen size maybe(?) I don't think Apple has ever retracted their ppi comments, though I believe they have about screen sizes.

I could be mistaken. Was the second part of your post an actual quote?

Not a real quote, I made it all up, in anticipation of what the marketing spin angle is going to have to be if Apple releases a new phone with a lower ppi count than the previous models, after spending all this time and energy extolling the virtues of "retina" displays (a term they basically invented in order to make themselves look good).

It's going to be like the megahertz myth all over again.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Like my 5, especially now it's jailbroken, but ideally would like a bigger screen. Utterly utterly pointless in this (incredibly unlikely imo) rumoured form though, I want more screen real estate, NOT bigger icons/text/ui elements. This rumoured version should only interest old people or the partially sighted.

I'm unlocked and contract free as always, and can jump ship any time. I'm good for another 18 months with my 5, but if Apple don't pull their finger out, I can see the late 2014 Nexus phone in my future.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Come on, decrease the PPI? I really don't see it happening.

Anyway, SHUT UP AND MAKE A 3.5" screen again! :(

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
In my opinion they should have made the screen size 4.3". They probably could have done it by decreasing the bezel on the iPhone 5 and with a minor increase in width. I still think that 4.3" is a great size for a phone that can still be used with one hand. The bad thing about the current size is that although it makes it easy to use with one hand, it makes it hard for people with large hands to type with two hands.

A screen size of 4.3" would result in 303 PPI which is still great. I bet that people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But that extra 3" would have been amazing.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Larger than a gs3? I had a gs3 for several months, and while I like larger screens, I felt the gs3 was just too big for a phone. I'll be :-( to see a 5in iPhone instead of 4.3in.

Add swiftkey 3 and a 4.3 in screen for perfection...

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
But what incredible battery life!

You're absolutely right! I can attest after one and a half hours of it constantly running, the battery level has not moved off full. I do see a problem with this future iOS though, I can't move icons around anymore unless I cut them out and glue them back on, which is not very user-friendly. Hopefully that will be fixed with the next beta-PDF.

edit: also, don't know if anyone else is experiencing this but Safari is not snappy at all. It's beta so I guess it can't be perfect.

Last edited:

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
These instructions are even easier:

1. Take your iPhone 5.
2. Hold it a few inches closer to your face.
3. Boom, bigger screen!

As a bonus, it still fits in your pocket.

The Galaxy GS3 sales prove that people don't like this method.

I bought a 46" TV because I don't want to have to be close to it to use it. And guess what: it still fits in my TV stand!

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
I stuck just the front portion it on my 5, and its really not that much bigger total. Apple could easily put in a large screen with a bit more width, and the phone wouldn't really even that much taller if at all if they shrunk the area above the screen down. That area takes up a lot of the total area of the phone, and compared to other phones its big. A lot of space being used up for...nothing.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
The Galaxy GS3 sales prove that people don't like this method.

I bought a 46" TV because I don't want to have to be close to it to use it. And guess what: it still fits in my TV stand!

I'll bet most gs3 owners don't have a tablet. I loved my gs3 but the more I used my iPad, the more I realised that the size of the gs3 just didn't make sense for me. I would grab my iPad for surfing the net or reading/watching stuff. I then went to the 4s and felt so much better. I had previously had the HTC sensation and really liked its 4.3in screen.

A 5in screen is too big for use as a phone and too small for use as a tablet.

If they can do 5in without increasing the overall phone size, then maybe it will work.

nastri83

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
1. Print PDF
2. Make papercraft iPhone
3. Hold papercraft iPhone
4. Think about what you just spent your time doing
5. Cry

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
Enough Already!

Just make the iPad mini Retina and add the Phone App / Real Phone Capability. I returned my mini not just because of the display - that was 60% of it ... the other reason was that I quickly learned I did not like managing/having two devices with me at all time.

The iPad Mini also needs to be a phone.

This is the lowest cost, least fragmented and best option for Apple - I honestly think they will do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.