Try the Pat Buchanan Ranch

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not sure what kind of dressing this is, but it looks like Ranch.

I doubt it's Blue Cheese. Too liberal. (Is there such a thing as Red Cheese?)

And if it's Paul Newman's salad dressing, that's even worse. ;)

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

beat me to it

Haha. I rolled out my chair laughing. That was priceless.

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

quote: "Thank you all for coming, but I'm going to have to get my hair washed."

I guess he's rich enough to have someone wash his hair for him. :rolleyes:

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Buchanan's visit had evoked controversy on campus because it fell on the birthday of the late Mexican-American labor leader Cesar Chavez. Buchanan favors tighter controls on immigration."

Chavez did indeed do good for the migrant farmworkers. No doubt about that. I fail to make the connection, however, with Buchanan's points about immigration, and Chavez; nor with his commentaries and "racism".

As near as I can tell, playing the race card is the only way that supporters of criminal activity have to try and misrepresent themselves as upright folks.

I've read some of Buchanan's commentaries about immigration, through the years. Some of his concerns are not valid; others are. He's spot-on about the issue of cultural assimilation, back when he compared European immigrants with those from Africa; i.e., it is much easier for the former. He's wrong about (legal) immigration in general being bad.

This pie-throwing or salad-dressing-tossing nonsense is as childish as those of the old Berkeley "Free Speech" crowd, where you were indeed entitled to free speech as long as what you said was agreeable to the Childish Claque.

'Rat

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Anti-immigrant causes are often thinly veiled racist organisations.

Whether or not Pat Buchanan is a racist is irrelevant. That the most vocal opponents of immirgants are racist puts him on their team. Strange bedfellows, perhaps, but bedfellows nonetheless.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But it beats shooting them, or bombing them ala the Evangelical response of Paul Hill or Robert Rudolph.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Cultural assimilation... I've always wondered what that meant exactly. My great-grandmother lived nearly 70 years in England and the US and spoke almost no English to the day she died (if only because she was functionally illiterate). According to some people, she should have been repatriated to Poland on that account alone. Fortunately, all of her children, and her children's children, had access to an American education and American opportunity -- and they all "assimilated" just fine, thank you very much.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, you know better than that. One listens politely, and then does one's best to skewer the idiot in the Q&A session afterwards. I doubt you would want me to express my disagreement with something you've said, or what you stand for, by emptying my colostomy bag over your head...

IJ, I'll bet you know full well that "cultural assimilation" is little more than becoming aware of and going along with, working within, the manners, morals and mores of the folks already residing in a community or country. Literacy and knowledge of the local language is helpful, but not a necessity.

:), 'Rat

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, to return to the topic...

One week after conservative William Kristol got pied and a few days following the Pat Buchanan dressing down, David Horowitz gets hit with a pie at Butler University.

It's too bad about the dressing. If that had been a pie too, we'd have a real Three Stooges thing going here, nyuk nyuk nyuk!

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the article:
    huh? am i to believe the following?
    1) pie throwing equates to fascism
    2) assault is worse than fascism
    3) opposing conservatism equates to fascism

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's odd, because what I'm seeing from the conservatives these days looks a lot like old-fashioned fascism.

I guess red-baiting has lost its lustre, so now we'll be fascists.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Know better than what 'Rat? That shooting someone is worse than pieing them? Am I wrong here? Is it better to be shot than covered in whipped cream? I doubt you'd want either one, but which would you prefer?

You cited a juvenile response that a few on the left have taken as if it's unique to them. I was just returning the favor.
    :)

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"Pie-ing" is wrong, of course, but in the scheme of things, it's goofy and relatively harmless. Not excusing it, just putting it into proportion.

Now lying to the people, rigging the game, and manipulating the media...that's Fascism.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh, that's just David Horowitz for you -- the patron saint of the deep-end crowd. He's got a habit of labeling everybody who disagrees with him as either a fascist or a nazi -- and hardly anybody agrees with him. He's also got a real thing about being persecuted, so getting a pie in the kisser only feeds his raging paranoia. Okay, all together now... "Ohhh, poor David...!"

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[canned TV audience reaction] "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!" [canned TV audience reaction]

:D

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Both ends of the political spectrum are rather cavalier about the use of the word "facism", I've noticed. It would be nice if they'd look up the meaning.

To me, conservatism has meant that the reason for slow rates of change is to have time to study and make sure that some change is indeed beneficial. Add to that a view about minimalist centralized power. You sure don't see any such style of conservatism in the neocon claque.

Bush and his in-group are as statist as any of his opposition, seems to me; just some different areas of interest...

'Rat

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Actually, conservatism opposes change in general.

But a better discussion would be about whether or not republicans are conservatives anymore. Cause they really don't seem to fit the bill.

Democrats are moderates at best, with a few liberals managing to survive in there.

Since definitions are handed down these days, especially by republicans, they are pretty much able to label themselves as they please.

I suspect though, that if media outlets were turned off (especially the most bias ones like talk radio) and information was objectively presented, people would start drawing their own conclusions about how to define political parties as they exist.

The MSM does little more than repeat the information released by the two main parties and so are not objectively helpful.

More succinctly, if people were to examine the facts and conclude for themselves what they think rather than repeating party lines and pundit commentaries.

Conservatives are currently much more guilty of this behavior IMO. But, eh, judging by Bushs poll numbers, the spell is being broken as people realize that the reality is not at all matching the claims made.

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Here you go 'Rat, you might like what this guy is saying, probably not.

Don Herzog is making the case that 'conservatism' is "an anguished attack on Democracy." Interesting stuff.

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

This article is an interesting synopsis of what makes a political conservative.

A copy of the report, in full, can be read here.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, damfino. I follow the points of the articles, but I have difficulty in seeing myslef within those "symptoms".

I'm not against nor afraid of change. I just think that more thought is needed to ensure changes are for the better as to results, not intent. I don't care about intent, if a change includes unforeseen bad results.

My own life has been one of unending change, whether of place of residence, schools, jobs...From around age six through around age twenty-eight, I've likened myself to a ping-pong ball in a concrete closet. And after college, I worked in the "car bidness" for a year as an engineer in training; then in a city electric department and a year later I wound up learning about hydrology, dams and reservoirs and suchlike. And then into the world of environmental stuff and then political doings, writing environmental legislation.

And then I dropped out, making my hobbies my business.

Change? I remember nickel coffee, and trains travelling faster than passenger planes. Cars before A/C, auto trannies and radial tires. And picking cotton for two cents a pound...

I just figure that government's inefficient at a lot of social stuff. Does good in major infrastructure efforts. I guess my anti-statism has to do with my engineering view of efficiency.

In today's US, it strikes me that both major parties have become statist. Big Nanny's suposed to be the answer to everything. That reduces independence, personal sovereignty and liberty.

I don't see any difference between left-liberals or neocons. They all are eat up with trying to tell folks what to do. My response to both is to offer the Reward Of The Rigid Digit.

What's "conservatism" got to do with the morality of lying, cheating and stealing? With making babies and bailing out on them? With ignoring what education is available to make oneself into a self-supporting citizen instead of a minimum-wage menial? A raised eyebrow at somebody's need for instant gratification means political conservatism?

But, folks have voted for what we've got, so I've just found a place to live where there's not a lot of official interest. The three-piece-suit crowd doesn't like deserts and dirt roads, so they don't bother us. Suits me. :D

'Rat

22. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[Emperor Joseph II] "Too many notes!" [/Emperor Joseph II]

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yet you support business interests over enviromentalists...