Trying to buy an iPod on the 26th...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Soire, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Soire macrumors regular

Ok, now that we all know Apple is ordering up 60 gig drives for the iPod, I beseech you all for advice.

I want a 40gig or larger iPod, but am willing to wait till WWDC. Nobody seems to have any indication of whether or not the 4th gen will be released then or later in the year. Soooo... I'm planning on ordering an iPod on the last day of the personalization promo- the 26th i believe- and then if they release the iPods at WWDC I would be covered by the 10 day window, right? If nothing is released, then I'll feast on the 3rd gen.

Does this sound insane? Logical? ...Thanks.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Sounds good to me, does the 10 day window apply to iPods too, or is it just computers?

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

BTOs (personalization) won't be accepted for returns. so at best, you'll get some credit or money back, but you'll be "stuck" with whatever the iPod you get.

4. kelvinz macrumors member

I recomend you wait 10 days, the ipod is nice but I think its replcement is going to come soon.

5. Gherkin macrumors 6502

WWDC is not the place new iPods would be announced. Isn't it a developers conference? I think people have too big of expectations for stuff being announced at WWDC.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

if apple updates the ipods this month they will do it at WWDC. They like ot have an event for ipod updates and this is the next logical event.

7. Soire thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry, what do you mean? They won't accept it at all, or they'll only give store credit? Or by attempting to return it all they'll do is say, "Sorry, but here's $10..."

I'm a might confused. :rolleyes:

ps- personalization would normally run what, $20 or $30?

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i mean apple will not take back an iPod that has personalization on it.

say you buy the 40 GB one for $500 and at WWDC, a 60 GB is announced for the same price while 40 GB's price drops to $400. you will not be able to use your 10 day window to return the 40 GB and get the 60 GB instead since 40 GB one you got will not be returnable. maybe apple will give you store credit for $100 for the new lower price of the 40 GB. but you will have to keep your personalized 40 GB iPod.

in any case, buy what you want. don't try to time your purchase in hopes of having an option to return. it's always safer to assume you can't return or get credits and buy what you genuinely like at the time of the purchase.

i personally wouldn't personalize my iPod, even if its free (unless it's a gift for someone else) because it will significantly limit re-selling options.

9. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Go ahead and buy it-- appleinsider says that the new, larger HDs wont ship until July or August, and that the new ipod couldn't possibly come out until September. Appleinsider is screwed up as I type this (the main page only shows recent articles, not the newest ones), so no link but I cut and pasted this post, dated today (June 2), from the forum :

FROM APPLEINSIDER TODAY:

Apple is not expected to release its rumored 4th generation iPod until September, some of AppleInsider's most reliable sources said last week.

As previously reported, the company has been testing prototypes of the new media player, which is said to contained a 2-inch color LCD screen, an improved dock connector (with video-out capabilities), an advanced embedded operating system, and 50GB of hard disk space.

The company is apparently utilizing unreleased disk drives in the development of the 4th generation iPod, as no 50GB or larger 1.8-inch hard drive currently exists in the market.

A report published in today's edition of InfoWorld corroborates rumors of larger drives and a potential September release of the new iPods. According to the article, Toshiba Corp. is planning to launch a 60GB version of its 1.8-inch hard disk drive in the coming months and has already received an order from Apple.

The new 60GB drives will enter mass-production during July or August, which would allow Apple ample time to ready a product introduction during the September time frame.

Toshiba is currently shipping 350,000 of the 1.8-inch drives per month to Apple for use in the iPod. The drives are available in 5GB, 10GB, 15GB, 20GB, 30GB, and 40GB capacities.

10. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

It doesn't mean that it won't be introduced at WWDC. True, it is not the right event for an iPod showing but what is? Paris Expo is far away. iPod's, as obvioulsy noted, are the top seller and you will not just wake up on a Tuesday, go to Apple.com, and see that new iPod's are out, much like they can do with computers like a G5 iMac. Apple will want everyone in the world to know that there is a brand new iPod in town and it will be done at some type of press associated event, sooner or later...And with what we know right now, WWDC does seem like the most appropriate.

11. Soire thread starter macrumors regular

I read that article as well. My hopes are that they have been delivering the drives for some time now to apple. Oh and thanks jxyama for the info. I don't plan on selling it, but I may not get the personalization if there will be all this trouble.

Perhaps even worse than no iPods at WWDC would be a paper release of the 4th gen. and then we all wait in agony for a couple months till they ship- the very thought scares me... :(

12. Gherkin macrumors 6502

At what event were the 3rd generation iPods revealed? If anything, I think Apple will have their own press event to reveal the 4G iPods.

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

3rd gen. iPods came out in late April, 2003. it was not tied to any sort of keynote - just iTMS and new iPods being introduced on their own...

if we took WWDC to be really for developers, the only announcement that makes sense is updated PowerMacs and 10.4... perhaps G5 iMacs can be placed to show developers that apple is aggressively moving into 64-bit... but i too find iPod announcement to be a bit out of line with the theme of the conference...