Trying to "Cheat" with iDVD...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lord Blackadder, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I recently picked up a Dual 533 G4 tower (see sig). The Pioneer DVR-107 installed without difficulty, it burns CD-Rs without a problem and plays DVDs just fine. I'm planning on upgrading the processor with a single 1.2 G4 (or better) when funds permit.

However, I bought iLife 2004 the other day. It says on the box it requires a 733 MHz or faster G4 in order to use iDVD. I've seen how well a Dual 533 performs against even a 933 a la Barefeats, so I figured I'd try it anyway. But when I try to burn a project to DVD, the little flashing "burn" icon flashes for a few seconds, then speeds up, then stops. Alternately, if I choose burn from the file menu, I get beachballed for 10 seconds or so, then iDVD quits. No burn. Is there something stupid I'm missing here, or is my system really too slow? It doesn't seem slow to me. Maybe a media issue? I'm using Memorex DVD-R 8x media. What's up guys?

2. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

I have a Dual G4 500 (Gigabit Ethernet) that burns DVDs inside iDVD using the DVR-107 I installed. Running iLife 04 and latest Mac OS X. 512MB RAM. Media - 2x. You may want to get some cheap 2x or 4x media and see if that works instead?

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ok, I just discovered that the drive isn't burning at all right now, even in iTunes. The only thing I've done since I had everything working was to install iLife '04. My system profile recognizes the drive as a DVR-107D, so I'm not sure what's going on at the moment....

4. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

That sux. Is it reading/playing media just fine - but not burning?

5. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Problem solved

I'm still not sure what the problem was but it's solved, courtesy of a new SATA drive I installed.

It arrived yetserday, but I was trying to burn some stuff I copied from my friend's DV cam. After screwing around with no success, I gave up, put in the new drive, installed OS X and iLife on it and bam, I'm burning DVDs. iDVD runs better than I expected - those system requirements are obviously inaccurate (but a dual really seems to make a difference). Still don't know what the issue was, obviously a software problem but Panther supports the drive natively so I'm at a loss. Thanks anyway for the replies!

6. tricky macrumors newbie

Lord Blackadder,

Let us know how that new SATA works out for you.

I actually just installed my Pioneer 107 last night and was messing around with iDVD. It seems pretty cool. I have a single 533 and did get the beach ball while working, but that is to be expected.

Let me know when you are ready to sell that dual 533 to me :)