Trying to connect to friends broadband!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jonnyboytv, Aug 14, 2005.

1. jonnyboytv macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2005
    Please help! I have been using mac for years, but have only just started to try and connect my powerbook to a friends UK broadband connection and its not working. I have taken the IP address, Subnet, Gateway, DHCP and DNS servers details off of their PC and put it into my networks settings but still no joy. How is it when I am in internet cafes I can just plug my laptop in and 'hey presto' but here i am struggling!!! Any help would be sooooo appreciated!!! I am just taking a network cable out of their 'box' supplied by their provider (telewest)!! Is it something to do with the provider???
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Have you tried resetting your network settings and just plugging it in? If that doesn't work, try clicking "reset DHCP lease"

The router has to be set to assign IP addresses via DHCP otherwise it won't work.
  3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Are you trying to connect to his computer or his 'net connection? If it's his connection, then don't be suprised, as if he's on it at the same time, then you can't. Even then, iirc, it won't connect, as with broadband, you get your DNS from the account's physical location (eg, mine is or summat like that)
  4. jonnyboytv thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2005

Will try these things and let you know. I am trying to connect to his router (thats the box that the cat-5 network cable comes out of right?), not his computer; so it should in theory work. Cheers all
  5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Oops, sorry. Completely misread the question :p I thought you meant to do a broadband version of using someone elses dialup account from anywhere. My bad *hits head*
  6. jonnyboytv thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2005

Finally after years a mac problem that has had be stumped for days. Still no joy!!! I have renewed lease (as suggested) - no joy. When I input the ip address etc manually in the network settings it tells me that status is internet is connected but neither explorer or safari run. Is this a con on th epart of the broadband provider to make me install annouying software!!!! Help me mac fans!
  7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Hmm... Have you tried going through the network preferences and clicking the Assist Me button? It's a guide that walks you through making a connection and fro some reason, I usually have more luck with it than just trying to connect manually. :)