Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

operastarlet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
USA
Please help if you can. I have tried to search on this but I see nothing with my problem. I am trying to connect to my pc so i can transfer files to my mac. I am using an ethernet cable. I have tried to set up sharing and all that. but i cannot connect to my pc from my mac when trying to use finder - go - connect to server, because when i put in smp and my ip address it gives me an error, saying The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smp://ip address could not be read or written. Error code - 36
What do I do? am I doing something wrong?

I am trying to get the files of of a pc running windows 98

Please reply , i have to get these files by monday.

operastarlet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
USA
Rower_CPU said:
Two things...

The file transfer protocol is smb not smp.

Are you trying to directly connect the PC and the Mac with the ethernet cable? Unless your Mac is listed as not needing a crossover cable in situations like that, it won't work.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717
yeah smb, i must have mistyped.

yes i am trying to drirectly connect, and i do not beleive i need a crossover cable. I read that artle and have an ibook with a dual usb.

operastarlet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
USA
what am i doing wrong?

ok, now i'm having some problems with using this
smb://workgroup;username@netbiosname/share

if my workgroup on the pc is home, and my computer name is computer and my shared folder is cdrive,
and my name on my mac is starlet, am i correct in doing:
smb://home;starlet@computer/cdrive?

That is what I am doing and I still get the error of
"The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://home;starlet@computer/cdrive" could not be read or written. (error code -36)

what am i doing wrong??

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
operastarlet said:
Please help if you can. I have tried to search on this but I see nothing with my problem. I am trying to connect to my pc so i can transfer files to my mac. I am using an ethernet cable. I have tried to set up sharing and all that. but i cannot connect to my pc from my mac when trying to use finder - go - connect to server, because when i put in smp and my ip address it gives me an error, saying The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smp://ip address could not be read or written. Error code - 36
What do I do? am I doing something wrong?

I am trying to get the files of of a pc running windows 98

Please reply , i have to get these files by monday.

A few things to check...

Make sure you have Windows file sharing turned on the Mac side. (Sys Prefs/Sharing). On the PC side you need to share a folder of some kind. I usually share the My Documents folder, and it should give an option to share as a different name. So I share it as mydocuments, or my_documents. If your concerned about security share it as my_documents$. People trying to get in won't think of the $ part so it will make it harder for them to get in.

Make sure both computers get an IP address, and also make sure their on the same subnet. If you have to, give them both a manual IP address like 192.168.2.1 on the mac and 192.168.2.2 on the PC.

I'm sure you probably don't care which side connects so you can either right click on My Computer and Map Network Drive then put \\nameofcomputer\yourhomedirectorynameonmac (ie. \\ibook\michael\) It will ask for a password, make sure you use the username/password on the Mac and not the PC. You may have to correct the username. UNIX is case sensitive so make sure the password is exact.

If you want to connect using the Mac, go to the "Go" menu in Finder and then down to "Connect to Server". Then put the following, smb://IPaddress/sharedfolder. (ie. smb://192.168.2.2/my_documents) It should ask for a username/password, make sure here that you use the PC username and password. Again, you may have to correct the username.

I hope this helps!

operastarlet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
USA
this is still not working.
I did change the ip address on the pc and changed the subnet.
But, i cannot access the mac from the pc, or the pc from the mac.

When i try to connect to server from the mac, I am still getting the same error, error -36.

Sharing is enabled on both computers.
I don't understand this error
The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smb://ip address could not be read or written. Error code - 36
what does that mean?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
operastarlet said:
this is still not working.
I did change the ip address on the pc and changed the subnet.
But, i cannot access the mac from the pc, or the pc from the mac.

When i try to connect to server from the mac, I am still getting the same error, error -36.

Sharing is enabled on both computers.
I don't understand this error
The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smb://ip address could not be read or written. Error code - 36
what does that mean?

Do you have a shared folder on the PC side? Just for kick&giggles, if you have a crossover e-net cable try that. I'm sure thats not the problem, but its worth a try if you have one.

What was the error on the PC side when trying to connect to the Mac?

operastarlet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
USA
mklos said:
Do you have a shared folder on the PC side? Just for kick&giggles, if you have a crossover e-net cable try that. I'm sure thats not the problem, but its worth a try if you have one.

What was the error on the PC side when trying to connect to the Mac?
yeah i am sharing 2 folders on the pc. I don't have a crossover cable, should I get one?
When i try to connect using the pc, it tells me to select a drive, from e to z, and then i tried e, and put in \\holl\starlet
holl is the name of the mac hardrive
and starlet is username
is that correct?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
operastarlet said:
ok, now i'm having some problems with using this
smb://workgroup;username@netbiosname/share

if my workgroup on the pc is home, and my computer name is computer and my shared folder is cdrive,
and my name on my mac is starlet, am i correct in doing:
smb://home;starlet@computer/cdrive?

That is what I am doing and I still get the error of
"The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://home;starlet@computer/cdrive" could not be read or written. (error code -36)

what am i doing wrong??

It sounds like something doesn't have permission to access the C Drive. More than likely its something on the PC side. Once you turn on Windows File Sharing and do the IP thing on the Mac side the Mac is all ready to go. Its getting the PC ready is the problem for most people.

Try not sharing the C drive and instead share a different folder like the My documents folder, or make your own folder and share it. You don't need to enter the workgroup in the address, that may be where things are screwing up too.

operastarlet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
USA
ok, i stopped sharing on the cdrive.
It wont let me share my documents, so i copied everything into a different folder.

Now, when i'm connecting, i am using smb://ipadd/pccomputername/sharedfolder

i also am trying smb://ipadd/

but both give me the same error 36

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
operastarlet said:
yeah i am sharing 2 folders on the pc. I don't have a crossover cable, should I get one?
When i try to connect using the pc, it tells me to select a drive, from e to z, and then i tried e, and put in \\holl\starlet
holl is the name of the mac hardrive
and starlet is username
is that correct?

Yep that is correct. I also have a Dual USB iBook and I just tried to connect to my PC using a regular E-net cable and it worked just fine so its not the cable type.

Here is what I have:

On the Mac side:

-Windows File Sharing turned on
-Manual IP address 192.168.0.66 (subnet setting:255.255.255.0)
-username: michael
-password: **** ;-)
-Workgroup: TERABYTE (Workgroup name doesn't make a difference, I just tried connecting to the Mac from the PC with a different workgroup name on the Mac side and it still worked!)

On the PC side:

-C Drive shared as C$
-Manual IP address is 192.168.0.1 (subnet setting: 255.255.255.0)
-username: admin
-password: ****
-Workgroup: TERABYTE

I've also heard somewhere that you have to have the same password on the PC as you do the Mac and visa versa. So if you have dogs for the password on the Mac side then you have to have dogs as the password on the PC side. You can try that as well. The usernames can be different. My usernames are different as shown, but my passwords are the same.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
operastarlet said:
It wont let me share my documents, so i copied everything into a different folder.

You don't need to put the ipadd in there...

It should just be smb://computernameoripaddress/sharedfolder

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
operastarlet said:

I just tried sharing the C Drive and that worked fine too. Make sure you put C$ in the share name and NOT just C if you want to try sharing the C drive again.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Just as a side note, I am running OSX version 10.2.8 on a TiBook and Windows XP Pro on my desktop, and have no problems connecting. Just shared my user folder on WinXP and connected without a hitch. (ethernet)

maybe its a Win98 thing.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Hey....just check if you have the firewall on , on windows 98..if it has one...
coz I was trying to connect to a windows xp which had teh firewall on..so i wasnt being able to,..

operastarlet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
USA
ok, i've tried just about everything and its STILL not working. I have no idea what to do.

I have changed ips and submasks. I have shared on both ends. I changed the user name in my pc to the same as my mac and all passwords.
I thought i actually got it for a second when i stopped trying to use my pc's ip and used the name of the computer (which is now the same as the short name of the mac) and it opened up and mounted, but its just my mac stuff, not my pc.

is there anything else I am missing? I did everything here and what all the site said.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If you're connecting a cable directly between the two computers, it almost certainly needs to be a crossover cable. Some network cards are able to auto-sense this situation and can work with a regular cable - but most can't (I have no idea whether the Mac card can do it or not).

Is the Windows computer running Windows 98 or Windows 98SE?

By default older versions of Windows don't use NetBIOS over TCP/IP, they use a protocol called NetBEUI. 98SE can handle NetBIOS over TCP/IP, but I don't think 98 can (and 98SE doesn't enable it by default). The Mac is using a program called Samba, which can only handle the TCP/IP protocol. So go into your network settings and make sure TCP/IP is installed.

operastarlet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
USA
Westside guy said:
If you're connecting a cable directly between the two computers, it almost certainly needs to be a crossover cable. Some network cards are able to auto-sense this situation and can work with a regular cable - but most can't (I have no idea whether the Mac card can do it or not).

By default older versions of Windows don't use NetBIOS over TCP/IP, they use a protocol called NetBEUI. 98SE can handle NetBIOS over TCP/IP, but I don't think 98 can (and 98SE doesn't enable it by default). The Mac is using a program called Samba, which can only handle the TCP/IP protocol. So go into your network settings and make sure TCP/IP is installed.

i'm going tommorow to pick up a crossover cable. hopefully that will work out.

The pc is running 98se. and i believe tcp/ip is installed

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Westside guy said:

All newer Macs including the Dual USB iBook he has will work with a regular ethernet cable. Macs have a special e-net port that will automatically cross the signal over when needed. So a crossover cable will not get you any further than you were before. I was helping him earlier and I connected my Dual USB iBook to my PC using Win. 2000 with a regular e-net cable and it worked just fine. It has to be something with Winblows 98. I HATE Winblows 98. I've never gotten anything to work correctly on it. If he had Winblows 2000 or XP then he would of had the files ages ago.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I agree that its a Windows98 thing that none of us obviously know what to do about....I sure dont. Networking isnt my bag.

operastarlet

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
USA
ok, so crossover cable won't work either?

its just windows 98 that is the problem??

IF I were to take the pc and the mac back to school with me and put them both on the network, would they be able to connect them?

Thanks you all for all your help on this. I appreciate it.

ps. I'm a she :)

dudeami

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2004
Texas
operastarlet,

I'm not sure if this will help, however I think the reason that you saw your mac data and not your PC's is probably because you had the same short names for both machines and your mac was probalby running windows sharing. This will cause your Mac to share its folders using that SMB shortname. In the windows world ie: Server Message Blocks, it is not a good idea to have two machines on the same network with the same name. I would make sure that the machines have different names. I have always been successful connecting from a MAC (OS X 10.2 or higher anyway, since I didn't really do this with earlier versions) using SMB://ipaddress/sharename so for Example SMB://192.168.4.1/c$.

Run some simple tests first. Make sure that you can ping the IP address of the PC successfully before attempting to connect. If you can not ping that machine, then you will not be able to connect to it. You can ping it either from a terminal ex) ping 192.168.4.1 or using the Network Utility which is found in your /applications/utilities directory.

[Edit] Another test that you can run, once you can ping the IP address of the PC, is to use the Network Utility and run a port scan on the IP address of the PC. You should see the PC listening on port 139 NetBIOS-ssn. If the PC is not listening on this port, then there may be issues with its server service. As was mentioned before the PC will need to be running NetBIOS over TCP/IP for the Mac to connect to it. The PC and Mac will first start to talk on port 139 to negotiate a TCP high port to continue the NetBIOS session. If the PC is not listening on port 139 this initiation of the NetBIOS session will never occur. If you do not see this you may want to check that the PC is running its File and Print sharing and is running NetBIOS over TCP/IP. [end Edit]

Once you can ping the PC, verify what accounts have access to the share you are trying to mount.

Then try to connect using smb://ipaddress/sharename
When prompted for authentication, I would recommend using the NetBIOS name of the PC as the workgroup, then enter the user name and password.

I hope this helps.

[Edit] BTW if you are only trying to connect from the Mac to the PC, I would turn of PC sharing on the Mac, this does not need to be on to access the PC, and may only be confusing the issue. I would try to make the environment as simple as possible when troubleshooting an issue. [end Edit]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.