trying to convince girlfriend to switch to mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by slipper, Apr 15, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

:eek: Guys i need your help on this one! My girlfriend is planning to buy a notebook right before the next school semester. She has a Dell desktop at her dorm and it straight up sucks. She says she likes macs but her main worry is compatibility with MS Word documents between PCs and Macs. I know there was a compatibility issue with Word documents before but does it still exist? What else should i say to convince her?

TIA :D

2. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

AFAIK, that's basically resolved. i think the only compat issue was the list changes feature in v. X and v.XP or something.

3. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

the only difficulty i've seen when sharing word docs between windows and macs is the same problem as when sharing between windows and windows... that is, the only problems you are going to have is if someone made their doc using new features in a newer version of word than the version you have (or, the only other issue i get is, if they used a font you don't have). as long as you stay current you're usually fine. office 2004 should be able to open up everything without a hitch. even if you have an older version of word than someone sending you a document, you can usually open it, you will just loose some formatting (all the text will be there).

if that is the worst of her concerns then i think we have another switcher

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Say you'll just stop fixing her computer, considering you already do that, unless she goes Mac. I know I've had fewer headaches troubleshooting Macs, and most of the time I don't even need access to the troubled machine.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

considering M$ makes an "official" office for Mac... just tell her that, if that's the only issue.

she'll also need to get used to Office v. X interface a bit, esp. the fact each office window in a Mac is just a document and the menu bar at the top changes with the application, but otherwise, i think she will do fine on a Mac.

6. Versello macrumors regular

There ARE some issues between documents in Office for PC and Office for the Mac.

I worked on my personal resume on my mac and PC, and on my mac sometimes things aren't formatted the way I want it to be, and sometimes there are weird symbols.

Just something to consider...

7. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

thanks. besides the resolved MS Word compatibility issue, what are some things i can say to convince her.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

ummm, say it's super easy. And odds are her favorite singer/actor uses a mac, though you might have to research that. In the end don't force her, just let her decide. People hate pushy people. It'd be really easy convincing my mom, since I pick out all her computer stuff. Deciding if that's up to you may hurt your relationship. For me, refusing to work on Windows machines usually gets computer illiterates to switch.

9. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

You don't even need MS Office, Appleworks handles MS files anyway, i have no trouble.