Trying to Copy Internal Hard Drive Contents to a Replacement Internal Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dmpacker, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Dmpacker macrumors newbie

I'm working with a PowerBook G4, and the Hard Drive is about to bite it. I bought a replacement drive (ATA-100) and want to copy everything over to the new drive without having to reinstall the OS and all of my software, preferences, etc. I've already tried just dragging and dropping the volume, to the other drive, but I'm getting a series of warnings about not having access to certain files to copy over. I've checked out the disk utillity and noticed the "new image+" button, but not sure what exactly it does, and certainly not going take any risks finding out. I know there has to be a way to do this, and feel like a real idiot not being able to figure this out.
    Would really appreciate any advice on how to do this; maybe special software I'm not aware of...whatever

thanks

Dave

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I replied in your other thread, but use Carbon Copy Cloner (google it). Never had a problem with it.

If you end up with any kinds of probelms, at least all your user settings and prefs are there, so you can run an archive/install. But I doubt you will have any.

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Also, you are getting the errors because OSX has a lot of hidden files and command line items that are protected from drag and drop copying (unlike os9)...

4. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Try SuperDuper if you can connect the other drive to the computer simultaneously....