Trying to decide on a powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ja Di ksw, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi all, thanks in advance for helping me out with your advice. I'm really worried about making the right choice, so I'm going to milk you guys all I can :D. If you just want to reply to one part of it, that's fine, I realize there's a lot of questions in there.

Currently I'm on a 450 Mhz G4 desktop, and I've been looking to get a laptop. When I bought this computer freshman year, I originally said I wouldn't get another one until after college, I would just update the one I'm on. Now that I'm a senior, I'm really starting to want to replace it with a laptop to use with class (bring in the powerpoint lectures to write on, stay on campus instead of going back to the house to write papers, use the internet, e-mail, etc).

My concerns are:

the graphics card - if I get an adaptor to plug it into my tv for watching dvd's, will this matter? If so, will having the 32 make that much of a difference? Plus, just for normal use with powerpoint, things on the internet, and the very rare game, does the 64 make a big difference over the 32?

price - obviously. I have the money for all of them, easily. However, I haven't had time for a job for a long time, and the money just keeps draining out. Would like to have a good amount left for when I get out of college, especially since I will probably be heading to grad school or vet school.

Processor Speed - I like to mess around with photos a lot, since I have a digital camera, and some movies, since it can record mpegs. Along with this I just like having multiple apps open at once, and my com is really beginning to lag with this, especially every time I open iPhoto. Then again, this is a 450 Mhz we are talking about, not a 1 GHz, so the slowest one might be ok.

Screen size - Is there that much dif? My current screen is a 18" viewable flat trinitron, but I could probably live with a 12".

Superdrive would be nice, but whatever. Same with backlit keyboard. And HD size doesn't matter. I haven't even filled up my 20 GB HD on this computer.

Weight isn't an issue. Half the time I put on a Strength Jacket to make myself heavier during workouts, or even just walking around, so I'm not worried about the weight.

That's the end of it. Thanks for the help.

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

If you think you can 'live' with the screen than you need a step up; I am in the same boat as you, deciding on what screen size to get based on my needs, and the video card etc. I say go with the 15", it has a lot of featurs that the 12" doesnt have that the 15" does like firewire 800, bigger screen, faster hard drive (me thinks), and a multitude of other stuff like bluetooth and a faster processor.

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

the 12 has everything the 15 except screen size, graphics card, backlight, and fw 800 - it has bluetooth

also it supports less ram

hmm... are you keeping the monitor from the old machine? if so, you can just hook up the monitor to your laptop for more space

get the 15 if you plan on rearly using the laptop at home

also as far as connecting it the the tv for DVD's

remember NTSC is 640 x 480 and pal is like 720 x 540 (or something like that)

even HD tv is 1280 x 960 ...

and the external video set up on the laptops supports like 2048 by 1536 so i woud be to concerned about the external video

don't worry about iPhoto, it's always slow, even on dual 2 gig G5's

if size is not an issue the 15 inch is probably the way to go, it's definatly small enough to go anywhere, but the screen is big enough for just about anything.

1024 x 768 may seem get annoying compared to the rez your use to on an 18 inch display... the 15 is 1224 x 960 is something like that, probably closer to what your use to on the bigger screen as far are room on the desktop

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

thank you... i knew i was wrong thats why i included "something like that"

glad someone checked it out - we don't want to give wrong info :D ;) :cool:

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

you were only 56 rows off though. The only reason I know is that I have one and finding desktop pics is a PITA.

7. madru macrumors member

Do you have Apple retailer/reseller near you? The best way to decide between 12" and 15" powerbooks is to use/play with each side by side. That's what I did. I settled on 15" pb. It's rather bulky compared to 12", but the screen size and other perks are well worth it. I felt that 12" screen just wasn't on par with 15" You get almost twice the usable work space.

8. YakkerGuy macrumors newbie

ja di ksw,

If you're not tight on money for this purchase, I'd recommend the current 15" powerbook aluminum. The 15" 1 GHz model will do all that you've said you wanted it to do. 15" Powerbooks are well equipped enough to age very gracefully.

I put in my order for a 15" this week. Be advised there is a wait of 1-2 months for this model.

-YakkerGuy

9. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

One to two months?!?!? Last I checked on the Apple Store online it said 10-15 days, and that wasn't but a few hours ago......

10. Brundlefly macrumors member

Brundlefly

17 inch

After all the horror stories I am reading about the 15 inch screen I am unsure how good a bet it is....

I went with the 17, and OMG, what a dream machine, only problem is all the people wanting to check it out, where ever I go....I spend more time demoing it than getting work done.

The 15 is nice, but for my money, and full on geekiness levels, I have to struggle to maintan everyday, I will haul the extra 1 pound around forever.

I am in love.:p

11. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

well, most people seem to be saying the 15", so that's probably what I'm going to go with. I think I'll get the higher model of it, if that's what I get. Between taking off what I don't really care about (making a smaller HD, superdrive, I would never make DVD's, etc) and what I would need to add on to the lower model (airport extreme, memory) and all that, the price difference is only $73, and I'm definitely willing the pay 73 bucks to get a faster processor and a backlit keyboard. My only concern is what Brundlefly was talking about. The white spots and whatnot. Plus, isn't the 15" suppose to be boiling hot in your lap, or was that just with the last version?

12. Brundlefly macrumors member

Brundlefly

apple store

the tech at my apple store said they had 12 of 25 15 inchers come back or are scheduled too....thats a terrible percentage....

allthough my friend Paul bought one and it works and looks great :\

at least apple is fixing the trouble.

13. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

wow, that is a horrid percentage. Maybe I'll wait until the fix it, or spend the extra money on the 17". Except there's a lot you can't tone down in the 17", so its a good amount more expensive than what I would pay if I went with the 15" ($648). Decisions, decisions.

14. schardt312 macrumors newbie

I ordered my 15"PB last monday, and it is scheduled to ship Nov 12-19. Not that bad. And to the author of this thread, definitely go play around with all three models at a retail store if you can. That's what I did before I fell in love with the 15".

15. YakkerGuy macrumors newbie

I know about the screen issues on new 15" models. My feeling is that the second run will cure this probblem and I also *certainly* hope Apple will fix those laptops people have already purchased.

My order remains "Open" with a ship date anywhere between now and Christmas. That's a long time to wait but if Apple is working on a screen fix before they build any new 15" models then it's worth it to me. That laptop is the most I can afford and I need everything it's got.

-YakkerGuy

16. Fahd macrumors regular

Based on what you've said I would suggest the 15", though I'm a road warrior personally and use the 12".