Trying to determine fair market value...

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by kottkerock, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors newbie

I've got a 2007/2008 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo macbook pro

2GB ram

upgraded 256MB NVIDIA graphics card.

I'm trying to determine the value of this system...i've found several sites that will give a number, but none that can factor in the upgraded graphics card on this unit.

It has a BRAND NEW logicboard, replaced last month under my apple care which has expired this week.

Looking for advice on what I may be able to get for this, i'm planning on using the money to upgrade to a new imac, as i'm tired of having a laptop attached to my hip!

any advice is welcome.

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Not much beyond $800 when you consider a refurb of a newer model is under $1000.

4. macrumors 68000

fcortese

+1 This site helped me get full market value price for my 2 yr old MBP I just sold.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've checked out mac2sell before, it puts my system @ $850

what i'm really trying to determine is what the increase in value is for the upgraded graphics card? It cost me $500 to have it upgraded and is still the base unit they're using in brand new systems...

any thoughts?

6. macrumors 68000

Bobioden

What graphics card did you upgrade it to? I had the same MBP as you and Apple had to replace my logic board 3 times. The failed nVidia 8600 card is attached to the logic board so that was also replaced. Is this a different upgrade than what you had done?

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the GeForce 8600M GT. The logic board replacement was a startup issue. Didn't seem to be graphics related at all.

8. macrumors Core

alphaod

Since they all have the same GPU, I don't see what the upgrade is…

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

man...it's been a few years...trying to remember why i felt so compelled to spend that extra dough...

I'm pretty sure that the model MBP I bought didn't have the 256mb graphics card, but a 125mb or somewhere around there. I'm a gamer so I wanted to spring for the upgrade. It's not much of an upgrade now, but it's still solid.

I'm not sure, but they may have been including this card on the top end MBP back then too.

10. macrumors 6502

Sorry for going tangential, but I've wondered about this question:

What are the best ways to maximize resale value on an MBP?

[My reason for asking: Normally, I take it as a given that laptops are commodities with high market value depreciation. But of course, Macs are an exception to the rule. They consistently tend to fetch relatively high resale values than other similarly spec-ed laptops. With other laptops I pretty much think that I'll use the thing till I can't run the latest programs and either toss them, give it away or have them sit in a closet somewhere. But with Macs, there seems to be a very viable second hand market.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.