Trying to ditch PC/Windows entirely......

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Piarco, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Jun 24, 2004
    I've owned a Powerbook since early Nov, and really been won over my OS X. As I'm using my PB for everything but games, I've decided to make the break and get an iMac for home. I'll be getting a second hand model (I think) as it will be funded by the sale of my PC. So I think I'll be looking at the 17" model with either 1.8 or 1.6 processors. Superdrive isn't a concern as I'll be getting an external dual layer drive for use with both the PB and iMac.

I've got a couple of questions though... How easy is the iMac to upgrade with say a bigger HDD or Airport Extreme? And was there ever a non-widescreen 17" available? Is the gap between the 1.6 and 1.8 siazable as there is a difference in the FSB....

And are there any considerations to make when buying an iMac... what would you want as standard?

Cheers! :D
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not sure what the secondhand market will be like since the iMac G5 is less than 6 months old so it might be a case of getting what you can. Checking the Apple Store for refurbs might be an idea though - you sometimes find BTOs on it which might have the Airport/bigger HD you're looking for. I think the UK refurb store is open on Weds at 10am.

If it was me, I'd be looking for one with Bluetooth (which has to be factory installed unless you want a USB dongle) since it's so useful when used with cellphones and gives you the chance to get the wireless keyboard and mouse if you want it.

And it's always been widescreen in that form factor.