Trying to figure how to use my TV as a 2nd monitor, wirelessly if possible...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by immaterialgirl, Jul 16, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2010
    For past year I've had my desktop Intel iMac and my TV side by side, but now I want to move my computer to my office and I'm trying to figure out he best way that I could still view content from my computer (streamed tv shows, movies, YouTube) from the comfort of my living room on my Samsung flatscreen... :cool:

I was considering AppleTV until I looked into it and realized it only mostly accesses iTunes or FrontRow, so I'm trying to figure a plan B that doesn't use cables if possible.
    A preliminary web search yielded some wireless solutions such as and but neither of these solutions seem that Mac friendly and I'm starting to feel like I'm going round in circles.

Have any of you a similar setup as I'm looking for?
    I'd love to hear any and all ideas or solutions!
    Many thanks
  2. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    The AppleTV has 802.11n and local storage 40-160Gb *can be upgraded unofficially to 320Gb

You can either run a nearby computer running iTunes with a massive HD and it will automatically be added / removed from the ATV my movies selection.
    Hack the ATV to use a shared NAS or USB drive.
    A MacMini (Frontrow)
  3. macrumors member

Jul 14, 2010
    Bite the bullet, buy a mac mini use it in your living room and move everything from your iMac to the mini. It will cost more, but it will save you LOTS of headaches.

A wireless HDMI + optical solution will cost you roughly 300 dollars, and at that point you are half way there to a computer that will do all that and more and NOT be in another room other than the one your TV is in.