Trying to figure out which machine is for me

Discussion in 'iMac' started by prosty41, Dec 27, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I dont do any video editing..or any editing at all for that matter. I use my computers for basic stuff. Internet, photo storage, cloud, etc. I might play some games on it. That being said, I'd like this computer to be stacked enough to last me a long time. I currently have an old macbook pro and I cant even put the latest version of itunes on it.

So heres what I am thinking:

2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    1TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512MB GDDR5

I am planning to buy after market ram and upgrade it to the max. Will I see much diffrence by opting out of the 3.2GHz processor?

2. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Your macbook pro should be able to run latest itunes np...

latest requirements:

Macintosh System Requirements

Mac computer with an Intel Core processor
    OS X version 10.6.8 or later
    400MB of available disk space
    Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store

maybe before you go out and spend $$$ all you really need to do is a clean install of osx (sl,l,ml)

3. thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry let me clarify... My MacBook is from 2006. It doesn't have the hardware nessisary to support an osx capable of my needs at this point. I started saving for an iMac three years ago and I now have the money saved.. While saving, I just didn't want to invest anything in the old MacBook.

4. macrumors G5

Macman45

I think the proposed spec is fine with one caveat...Remember that the RAM on the 21.5's is not user upgradeable, so you might want to consider 16GB at purchase time. Apart from that your spec. would seem more than adequate fro your needs.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Oh that's the 27inch... I was planning on buying after market ram and maxing it out

6. macrumors G5

Macman45

I see, so your spec is for 27"? Then you can get aftermarket RAM...Crucial is who I use.

7. prosty41, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

thread starter macrumors member

Yes I just dont know if upgrading to the 3.2 processsor is worth the extra $. That's my big question

8. thread starter macrumors member

9. macrumors member

For your intended use of the machine, no. The default CPU will be fine. Save your money.

10. macrumors regular

petsk

You won't notice any difference what so ever between the 2.9GHz and the 3.2GHz CPU. However, the GPU (675MX) in the high end iMac should be far better. Choose the high end if you plan on gaming sometimes, the price difference is small so it could be worth it.

If you don't need a 27" screen I would definitely recommend you to go with the 21.5" instead, it's a lot cheaper and you won't notice any speed differences.

Choose the Fusion Drive what ever you decide, the rest is not important. I doubt you will need more than 8GB ram for a few years.