Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
alright... odd situation here... perhaps its happened before. the macs at a certain universites graphic computer lab have been jacked with by someone. someone keeps on messing with the prefs for the os... for the apps, dates and countless other issues. whoever is doing this is really persistant because its been happening for awhile now. the instructor would go in and change what he could change over and over again because the person (vandaL) keeps screwing with it. of course the instructor has encountered issues that he doesnt know how to remedy. so what am i asking here? im asking you all is if you know a way one can find out either who is doing it or when its being done or/and how to prevent such things from happening again? any thoughts would help really. im at a loss here.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
What OS are these Macs running?
If it's X, just create a user with limited access (no admin priv) for the students to use and the vandal won't be able to mess around with the system anymore. I think you can do the same with 9, but not sure.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
It can be done with OS 9. The old school G4 at my former school had several student accounts with limited access.

If worst comes to worst you could always set up a hidden camera?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.