Trying to get mailboxes from outlook to mail...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bhennies, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Hi all, I am working on a friend of mine's computer- she has an old dell running windows ME that I'm trying to get her email boxes from. Does anyone know how to export mailboxes from windows millenium outlook express into a format Mail will accept? I spent all day trying to figure it out and simply couldn't. Also, the computer is so ****** up that I can't connect it with the mac at all...the boxes will have to be emailed. Thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ooh... I got this to work once, but I'm not sure if I remember how.

Here's one potential option that'll almost certainly work: Eudora for Windows should be able to import mail from Outlook Express. Once you've got the mailbox(es) in Eudora's mailbox format (.mbx, I think), you can then get those onto the Mac.

Once they're on the Mac, Mail.app can import Eudora mail via the "Import Mail..." command, so you might just be able to do that, but there's one potential caveat: the Windows Eudora files use a different linebreak than the Mac ones, and I know these must be manually changed for the Mac Eudora to recognize them.

If Mail doens't know what to do with the straight-from-Windows mailboxes, you'll have to get a utility that can convert PC linebreaks to Mac (I used BBEdit light, but there are others), do that, maybe then actually get them into a working Eudora account (Mail might want that), then import them.

It's also possible there's either an export function of some sort in Outlook Express (doubt it), or that Mail can import directly from Outlook Express Windows (doubt that too, but worth looking in to).

Good luck.

3. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. thanks a lot. Just doesn't look like there's any easy way to do this :(

4. Baron58 macrumors 6502

<sigh>

Outlook2Mac: http://www.littlemachines.com