Trying to get my mac online...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ecodisk, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Ecodisk macrumors member

Ecodisk

Ok I have a wireless network in my house and I use Air Link 101 usb connecters to connect my computers to it. I put one of these adapters in my mac and nothing happened (didn't surprise me though). Now I have a windows PC in the same room as my mac and was wondering if I could set up a small network between the two and share the windows internet connection over the network. I hooked my Mac and Windows machine both up to a router and told windows to share the connection. I figured it wouldn't be that simple, but it was worth a shot. How exactly do I do this...if its even possible?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no reason for you to share the Windows computer's Internet connection if you have a router. The router is supposed to share its connection with the Windows computer and the Mac. You can, however, network the Mac and Windows computers a peers on your LAN. You don't say how you access the Internet at home. If it is a cable modem or a DSL modem, then the setup is extremely simple. Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of your router. Connect the Ethernet cables from each computer into an available LAN port on your router.

On the Mac, launch System Preferences.
    Click the Network icon.
    For now, just leave the Location: pop-up on Automatic.
    Set the Show: pop-up to Built-in Ethernet.
    Click the TCP/IP tab.
    Set the Configure IPv4: pop-up to DHCP.

You Mac should now be connected to the Internet.

Set your Windows computer to access the Internet via DHCP and you're done. You can, of course, setup your email and other services on each computer at your leisure.

3. Ecodisk thread starter macrumors member

Ecodisk

Sorry I think I misread your post. I did what you said and it didn't work.

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

He saying that you should connect your Mac directly to your router with an ethernet cable since the Mac doesn't have wireless. However, you should be able to do what you asked about and share the Windows machine's internet connection to the Mac. I do that all the time, only the other way around (Mac's airport connect shared via ethernet to a PC).

Finally, you didn't say what Mac you have. If it's relatively recent, you can get an Airport Extreme card and plug it in to give it wireless.

5. Ecodisk thread starter macrumors member

Ecodisk

I have a powermac G3 blue and white. I just went and got a belkin wireless G pci adapter for it, but it wont fit in the PCI slots on my mac for some reason:mad: I'm going to return it and get the usb adapter I guess.:(