Trying to install adiumx. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptainCaveMann, Apr 7, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

It says to install adium x drag the duck to my applications folder. Im confused. I clicked on the finder and it wouldnt come up normally. Do they mean drag it to the dock?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

all you have to do is open the DMG. file that you download from the site, once the .dmg is opened drag the icon to your applications folder, from there you can launch it or drag it to your dock to launch

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you downloaded the dmg file right? And then when you open it, there's a duck icon. You drag that into your applications folder. And then you should get a window telling you that Adium is being copied over. Then you double click on the duck in the apps folder. If you want, you can drag the duck from the apps folder (NOT the dmg) to the dock, or you can right click it after you launch it and tell it to stay in the dock.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hehe a bit better of an explanation than mine :eek:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We were writing at the same time, I think. ;)

6. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok downloaded it and i dont like it. It keeps signing me off and asking me for my password again. Also it did something weird and my menu at the top of the screen went blue and dissapeared for a second. How do i delete it? I dragged it to my trash can. How do i get rid of it from there.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just empty your trash and thats all there is to it

8. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

What do you guys do with a dmg file on your desktop? Do you just delete it when your done downloading the program? Or do you have to keep it and just move it if you dont want it on ur desktop?

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

eject the disk image first by dragging it to the trash, an eject icon will appear, or you can eject it from the finder's sidebar, you can then trash the .dmg file as well if you dont wish to save the program/contents, i never do so i trash the .dmgs i download

10. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Dude you are the man thanks for helping me! Seriously though, is adium known to be buggy? As soon as i downloaded it safari would inovertently stop working for no reason. Along with adium itself. Weiiird. As soon as i deleted it everything was back to normal. I even though it was my internet connection but nope!

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Usually no...my experience has been that Adium is very well-behaved. What, if anything, do you have running in the background? But you don't seem to be the only one who has weird experiences with Adium.

What did you mean when you said that things became fine when you deleted it? It almost sounds like your issue had something to do with having the disk image mounted on your computer, and not Adium itself. When you ejected / trashed that disk image, it had nothing to do with Adium running.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

adium is totally stable for me, i use it everyday all day without a problem, i suppose you could try again with the next release, it still is in beta so its not completely polished just yet, but stable enough for most people, and no problem for the help, i would just keep an eye out for the next release, give it another go, and trash the prefs for it before you try again (easiest way to do is to seach from the finder for Adium, and the .plist file just needs to be trashed)

13. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Yea that may be it. Because when i first downloaded it. I didnt drag it to my apps folder because i didnt know i could open another finder window. So i dragged it onto my desktop. The little green panguin guy is who im referring to. I dragged him onto my desktop then i dragged that into my apps folder and i was left with a dmg file on my desktop and another adium file that had a hdd picture for an icon???? Could that be what happened?