Trying to install AIM from .bin file (total n00b)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Danyell, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Danyell macrumors newbie

Hi. My macbook is finally on a wireless network (yay!), so I'm now hooking it up with all the internet luxuries to which I have grown accustomed. I am trying to install AIM 4.7, which is the version for OS X or higher. From the aim.com website I downloaded the file installaim4.7.bin, but whenever I try to open it, it launches in the trial version of MS Excel! :confused: Try as I might, this makes no sense to me. I never would have even opened that trial if it hadn't launched itself.

I'm not familiar with .bin files. All I can guess is that they are similar to .exe executible files on a PC. I tried opening it with Installer and it didn't work. I'm sure the answer is something pretty obvious (and I'm hoping no one answers with "AIM sux", because I don't think that's the [only] reason. Ha.) I'm incredibly new to macs and I feel like I was PC savvy enough to get by and now mac is almost like learning a new language...or a different version of the same language (like American English and UK English. Whatever analogy works for you...)

Any input on the subject would be most helpful. Thank you! :D

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why are your trying to install AIM when you have iChat? :confused:

3. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Danyell,
    I would go back to AIM and try downloading the installer again, it should automatically start the VISE installer once you click on the downloaded file...

Hope this helps...

Avenger23

4. Danyell thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I load all of my aim preferences into iChat? Like my buddy list, for instance?

5. Danyell thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try to download it, it gives me the options of opening it in StuffIt Expander, or to save it to disc.

6. therevolution macrumors 6502

Yes. iChat uses the same AIM network. AOL's AIM software for Mac is not very good... you should definitely use iChat instead.

If you really want to run AIM, the .bin file should open in StuffIt Expander. It's kind of like a .zip file.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your buddy list is stored on the server. You log into it and retrieve that data. Any chat client that supports AIM protocols can get your buddy list when you log in.

8. Danyell thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't realize that iChat runs AIM protocols. So I can just login with my AIM account?

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yep!

10. Danyell thread starter macrumors newbie

That definitely makes it easier...

But does anyone know why Excel would try to launch this kind of file? I'm just really curious.