Trying to install Tiger on a G3 (blue and white)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chuchichan2524, Mar 24, 2007.

1. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

Hello...

I'm trying to install Tiger onto a Mac G3 blue and white that has about 448mb of RAM. I think I should be able to do it, but I can't get the G3 to even begin the installation. I've tried both holding down the 'c' and 'd' keys when starting up, but what happens is that I eventually something that looks like a DOS screen with jumbled wording saying that I have to reboot the machine. The message is jumbled on the screen and it's written in several languages.

Am I going about the install the wrong way. I put disc one of the install DVDs into the drive and restart and then hold down either the 'c' or 'd' key. Also, I've noticed now after I attempted the install a couple of times that when I start up into the current OS (OS 9.1), that I briefly get a fold that flashes a question mark and then I get the computer icon with a smiley face and OS 9.1 then loads.

Seems like things are starting to get worse with the G3 now. The OS hangs a lot.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Er... does that Mac even have a DVD-R drive in it?

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you have another Mac, you can install Tiger over firewire.

Boot the G3 into Target Disk mode (hold down T while booting), put the Tiger disk into the other Mac and follow the instructions, plug the G3 into the other Mac when it tells you.

I did my old iBook G3 this way and it worked fine.

4. chuchichan2524 thread starter macrumors regular

The blue and white did originally come with a DVD player. That broke a while ago and I intsalled a Sony DVD writer.

I do have MacBook Pro that I can use to install from. What sort of cable do I need to do this? A firewire to firewire cable? Would this have come with the system? Do I need to purchase it?

5. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

T mode won't work with the Blue and white G3 sorry. Only after Sawtooth G4 can you enable the T mode for it.

Ironically you can use the B/W G3 to read other Macs in T mode as a hard drive using FW! :)

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Oops, sorry about that! :eek:

7. chuchichan2524 thread starter macrumors regular

So, any idea on how I can install from the Tiger DVD? Would disconnecting any peripheral devices help? I have a scanner, printer, and an external DVD hooked up to the G3 when I'm trying to install Tiger right now.

8. ruZZ.il macrumors member

have you tried all the firmware updates, etc? also, make sure you have ppc installation dvd.. or atleast one with both and not the one that came with your MBP, that'd be intel only. google around for something like 'osx on imac' you'll find a bit of stuff.. I managed to get it onto a g3 imac (all white) 500mhz 640mb ram and its ok.. I got it onto a clamshell ibook too, 466mhz 576mb ram.. its a little sluggish with divx and big pdfs.. I'm wondering if it'd do slightly better with panther.. or a linux compilatiation or something... but it works :)

9. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well, having been there, done that, many times, I can tell you without a doubt that Tiger WILL install on any B&W w/ a dvd drive, sufficient HD space, and 256mb+ ram. But all firmware MUST be up to date, and that has to be done in OS 9.x.x. FIRST...........

10. chuchichan2524 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I make sure everything is up to date in Mac OS 9.1.2? I've downloaded what I think is the latest firmware (version 1.1). Is there a way to check other updates, etc?

11. grmgroup macrumors newbie

Can't install 9

I zero'd out my blue and white G3 and am attempting to install 9 again. I start up from CD but no HD ever appears on the desktop so there's no where to install 9. If I boot from OSX, I can't install the OS. Can I install from another mac via ethernet or firewire? Also, how is it possible to install firmware on a zero'd out HD? Thanks.

[edit]I rebooted from OSX CD a 2nd and 3rd time. The 3rd time the HD popped up and I was able to begin install which is now halfway through 1st CD.