Trying to Install TIGER over PANTHER (getting error message)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chosenwolf, Feb 12, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Hello all,

I inserted the Tiger CD into my MAC to try and install it. It restarts and goes to the installer menu but says "This software cannot be installed on this computer."

Any input?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I hate to ask stupid questions, but someone has to so we can eliminate some things:

1. Is this a legal copy of Tiger? You didn't download it or anything?

2. Did this copy of Tiger come with another computer? Or is it a Retail copy? Or is it a developer copy?

3. What type of install are you trying to do?

3. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

No, I didn't download it. It is a copy that came with another iBook though.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It won't work then. :(

You are only licensed to use the bundled disks with the computer they were packaged for and Apple has implemented measures to stop you doing otherwise, sorry. :eek:

5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

yes but if you buy one copy of tiger, you can install it on as many Macs as u want.

6. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

There must be a crack of some sort? =)

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you buy a Family Pack then you can install it on up to five Macs that you or your family own. Not as many as you want :rolleyes:

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

We don't discuss illegal things like that here. And, no, truthfully there isn't. Don't bother looking.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd suggest not talking about that again since it's not legal.

It looks as though you'll have to buy the retail version to get Tiger on the machine.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The disk only contains the relevant settings for the specific computer it came with so trying to get a G4 iBook disk working on an iMac (or whatever) will leave you with incorrect drivers etc. :(

11. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

i have installed it on three computers that my family owns. the reason i didn't get the family pack is that the place i bought it from didn't even realize the family pack existed. You also save some money (not a major desicion for me). I think that can be a real problem with software.

Please Note: I do not steal software, and have no intention of installing it on other people's computer for free. I do not intend on installing tiger a million times or selling an instal for less than the price, or install at all. I have no intention of installing it on computers not owned by me (or family) and to send out copies. I am not doing this to make apple lose money, but because it was that, or pay for 3 licenses. I would not be able to afford three seperate licenses, so i would be working on panther right now. I think that apple would rather have me buy one copy of their software than buy none at all. I am not preventing other people from buying Tiger (by giving them a copy for free).

12. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Well technically the other iBook belongs to a member of my family. Do I still need to buy the upgrade?

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The copy that came bundled with the iBook is not a Family Pack, so you're not allowed to install it on other computers within your family.

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Oh, that makes it soooo much better.

Actually, you just admitted to stealing software.

Well, Apple is losing money. Paying for three licenses would have at least been legal.

What's so wrong about working on Panther?

Apple would prefer you to purchase three licenses. If you can't do that, they would prefer you to purchase 1 for one machine and use panther on the others.

That is part of the problem. Licenses don't count people, they count machines. So you are preventing two machines from having legal licenses purchased from Apple.

If you want to use illegal software, that is your prerogative. But don't make up a bunch of BS to justify it. It makes you sound stupid and immature.

15. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I used the install disk that came with my PB to install Jaguar onto my B&W a while back.

You can't do the upgrade install, but I think you'll be able to do a clean install. Probably illegal to do though.

16. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

So how do I go about doing a clean OS install without losing my files & info? In other words, how do I delete Panther from my MAC without losing any files.

17. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Backup, backup, backup.

18. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Yeah, I know... but in Windows you get an option to delete the OS and keep all files on the hardrive. You can't do that with MAC?

19. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

If i said, that i would give you $129 for your software, would you rather have me buy it and install it on 3 machines, or not buy it at all. I understand your point, but believe that if apple knows that i would not buy it for the other two machines, do you think apple cares that much if its on the other two. What does apple lose by me having tiger on the other two machines if there is a guarentee that i will not buy more licenses. It just means that apple will have to spend less money training new support people to troubleshoot old machines and that they have to spend less money developing new software for older OSs.

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It was possible with Jaguar. I think it was later releases of Panther when Apple started preventing this.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I do develop software and I can honestly say I'd rather you not purchase it at all.

Yes, they do care. If they didn't, they wouldn't sell a family pack.

They still lose out.

If I can guarantee Bill Gates will never miss 1 million dollars, can I steal it and not be considered a crook?

What!? And you don't see a problem with this!

Again, if you want to steal software, go ahead. I'm not going to stop you. By why must you come up with ridicules BS to justify it? Does it make you feel better? I'd respect you a lot more if you just came out and said "I pirate software and I just don't care."

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, it's illegal.